Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
lets get smoking
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1997 sclb auto 4x4. i found a ext cab long bed with a zf-5 4x4 but its a 1992 and was wondering if i can swap the zf-5 into my truck knowing that the drive shafts wont work but everything else should. please correct me if i am wrong on that. i am just wondering if this would work or not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would say yes it will work other then the truck pcm wont work if it even has one.as long as there both diesels

·
lets get smoking
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are both diesels and the truck that has the stick is actually a 93 but still doesnt matter as long as it works thats all i care about

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
If you get a TS chip reburned for a manual truck you won't need to switch PCMs.

·
Whites Diesel Performance
388 Posts
Yes you will still need a pcm for a manual. Ive done this maybe 15 times now. Without it the truck will lope real bad on start up and stall, truck will defuel thinking there is something wrong with the tranny because it is not there. Get a manual pcm. I have em here reman if you need one!

·
lets get smoking
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But everything will swap from the 93 to my 97? And how much for the PCM for the manual?

·
Whites Diesel Performance
388 Posts
228.00 to you. And yes EVERYTHING will work the only issue is the tranny outta a 86-95 are ZF42 and the 96-97s used a ZF47 meaning 420 ft-lbs or 470ft-lbs easy way to tell is if you see trans number 1307 on various parts thus it being a 42 1317 is a 47. Itll work just will be a shorter time until it needs to be rebuilt. Personally being a manual only kinda of owner/driver the 42 has a much sloppier syncro engagement because of the design of the syncros. Meaning sloppy gear placement( you can move the shifter quite a bit in gear). BUT if that does NOT bother you then nevermind lol ORRR when it needs to be rebuilt find a newer one to have rebuilt.

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
you dont need a manual PCM. Just get a TS chip burned for a manual truck.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
the S42 trans has a HIGHER 1st and reverse which SUCK for towing

·
lets get smoking
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all and i know its a 42 its out of a 93 year truck but it was already rebuilt before the engine went in the truck. not to worried about the slop in the gear just want away from the auto cause its the second one i put in it in the last year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts