Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 03 Excursion I can manually switch my hubs from Auto to Lock. Can these hubs be swapped out for different ones like Warn that have a Lock and Free, and do you think this would free up drag on the front end resulting in an increase in MPG’s.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Joined cracked block club
289 Posts
Unless the auto part of the hubs are stuck engaged they would act just like manual hubs in the free position when not in 4x4.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just had all the seals in the front end replaced. so they should be good. I didn't know if the hubs turned everything in the front axle all the time or not and if the aftermarket hubs with a free option would make a difference.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I recently converted my hubs to manual and ditched the lame OEM auto/lock hubs. Reason was that the auto hubs would fail to disengage and that the dial had become too hard to turn. It was a cheap upgrade, I chose the mile marker premiums, and now I have dependable 4x4 without unintentional hub drag.

If everything is working "factory new" with the OEM hubs then no mpg difference will be had by dumping them in favor of the manual hubs.

·
BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
1,059 Posts
i just had all the seals in the front end replaced. so they should be good. I didn't know if the hubs turned everything in the front axle all the time or not and if the aftermarket hubs with a free option would make a difference.

thanks for the info.
To bad u replaced the seals they are not needed if you have Warns, they are only needed for vacuum OEM style lock outs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently have the OE vacuum style. I replaced all the seals because i was leaking fluid from the diff.

·
BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
1,059 Posts
I currently have the OE vacuum style. I replaced all the seals because i was leaking fluid from the diff.

Oh that seal, I thought u meant the seals in the outer spindle :doh:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh that seal, I thought u meant the seals in the outer spindle :doh:
I replaced those too. was already in there, might as well replace them all right.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Those inner seals, the ones holding the gear lube in are WAY WAY in there. Pretty much everything has to come apart to get them. Since you're in there that far, replacing the seals as you rebuilt is a wise idea. Won't hurt a bit and might even help keep water out of your hub.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those inner seals, the ones holding the gear lube in are WAY WAY in there. Pretty much everything has to come apart to get them. Since you're in there that far, replacing the seals as you rebuilt is a wise idea. Won't hurt a bit and might even help keep water out of your hub.
you got it man... we have an ex ford tech at the shop. He only charged me $160 to do everything. $100 for two hrs labor on the books and $60 under the table for the extra time. He said if you ever in snow or water deep enough to hit the axle tubes that you should park sideways on an incline and let the axle tubes drain. You will also have to turn the truck around to drain the other side. He has seen water sit in the tube and dirt and debris will come into contact with that inner seal causing it to leak.

·
RubberDuck
49 Posts
I just installed Mile Marker hubs and ran to Houston and back and got 17 MPG the best I have ever had was low 15 mpg so its worth making the switch in my case. I am not sure what the difference between auto and manuals and how they work and if was a result of my mpg change from auto's. Maybe my auto hubs were broken or hung up to cause the change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts