Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive converted from an auto to a manual trans during my cummins conversion but have yet to remove the automatic shifter on the column, is there any tricks or tools to remove it and the wiring without destroying in case I someday decide to go back to an automatic?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ive converted from an auto to a manual trans during my cummins conversion but have yet to remove the automatic shifter on the column, is there any tricks or tools to remove it and the wiring without destroying in case I someday decide to go back to an automatic?
I took mine out piece by piece. Not bad really. I did have to lower the column down to take the shifter off the top side of it. And took apart the cluster to eliminate the gear indicator. You will need about a 2" plug for the floor where the cable comes through.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
knock out the pin where the shift lever attaches under the boot and unplug the button. Get the plastic piece for a manual truck and leave the rest of the shifter parts in place.

I used krylon satin black to paint the indicator in my dash cluster or you can buy the part from ford and save your auto piece.

Last, cut your auto shift cable and pull the floor boot off of it... It makes the perfect place to run your wires and such for gauges to the engine compartment and you can buy a new shift cable if you ever go back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it out, thanks guys. Now the only thing is the check engine light, Ive been told you can hit it with 12V, which wire would do the trick?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Got it out, thanks guys. Now the only thing is the check engine light, Ive been told you can hit it with 12V, which wire would do the trick?
Just take out the bulb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts