Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my search to an OBS truck, now I'm wanting your input on which holds up best auto or stick? The trucks I've been looking @ are high mileage 2wd dually's. I'll be pulling and DD, I ussually pull empty trailers but some are 10k. Most of the trucks have had the autos rebuilt already but the sticks haven't.

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would go with the 5 sp. it would be better to tow with all the time. Plus its alot chaeper to replace a clutch then to build an auto.
Bryan

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I would go with the manual. I love pulling a trailer and driving with a manual... That is why I did the swap when my auto failed

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Stick would be your best bet if your driving it on the highway all the time. It'll be cheaper and simpler if it's just a trailer tugger to.

·
gabe
52 Posts
go with the stick!!! just think of it this way, with an auto your towing down the road and bam something blows out in it. you are down hard and have to get towed. with a manual, if something goest out(its pretty hard to tear a hardened steel gear apart) you still have the rest of the gears to get you that couple more miles down the road to the next shop.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I was thinking to. Seems like all the high mile autos are either out, been out, or on the way out. Guess I've been lucky. Thanks!

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
go with the 5 speed joe, got a zf5 in my obs 350 its got 235k on it and never done anything but put a clutch in it and drive it hard lol

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
go with the stick!!! just think of it this way, with an auto your towing down the road and bam something blows out in it. you are down hard and have to get towed. with a manual, if something goest out(its pretty hard to tear a hardened steel gear apart) you still have the rest of the gears to get you that couple more miles down the road to the next shop.
That depends on what goes out. I've limped a hurt auto home and I've have to be towed when a 5spd(NOT the clutch) took a dump. If you lose the input shaft bearing on a 5spd, guess what, you won't be going anywhere(been there, done that). And when you lose a gear there is no garruntee the trash won't lock it up.

I've seen them both last 300k+ without a rebuild towing heavy, and I've seen them both take a dump before 60k, so decide which you like better. The guys with the 5spds are gonna say it's better, and the auto guys will say those are better.

My opinion is this: If you can't afford a BTS, get a 5spd, throw a $1k to $2500 clutch in it and be easy on the hydralics and the synchros. Otherwise, get a BTS and don't worry about replacing the clutch, hydralics, or the synchros.

Dave

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
My opinion is this: If you can't afford a BTS, get a 5spd, throw a $1k to $2500 clutch in it and be easy on the hydralics and the synchros. Otherwise, get a BTS and don't worry about replacing the clutch, hydralics, or the synchros.

Dave
That's very well worded, and how I looked at the tranny situation at the time I bought my truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts