Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys well I have finally had time to start puttting together my front end after a total rebuild. I bought a Warn Hub Kit also ordered the conversion kit to go with it. First question is once the new kit is installed and the bearings are seated I finished off the new kit and that looks correct. Where I am stuck is the axle retaining ring should I use the original one the warn one looks kind of a crummy fit and what should go in between the bearing nuts and the axle locking ring (looks like a big gap ?) After that looks fairly simple except for a large (what warn calls the locking ring that you are supposed to bend the tab on one side and feed it into a special groove ?) Last thing which is probably a stupid question but what keeps the axle from going to far into the housing if there is so much play between the locking ring and the bearing nuts ? Thanks in advance sorry for such a long post just wanted to put it all out there to begin with.

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK, here is the order of the parts from the bearings out.
1- Lock nut to set bearing pre load, ton's of differing opinions on bearing pre load, I tightened mine till it was hard to turn the rotor/hub, then backed of just a hair
2- Washer, this washer has the tang to ride in the groove of the spindle, and holes all through it, The tang should line up with the groove in the spindle, and one of the holes should line up with the pin on the inner (pre load) lock nut
3- Lock nut, tighten to spec (I can't remember and exact tq spec, I'll try and find it)
4- Hub internals
5- Axle retaining snap ring, depending on whether this a D50 or D60, the IFS d50s used the axle retaining snap ring, but it wasn't required on the d60s
6- Large locking ring, it will fit into the outer groove of the hub to hold the internal part in.
7- Last is the outer portion of the Warn Hub, containing the selector knob

Hope that helps, and doesn't muddy it up for ya LOL

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for that info really helps. Two questions though I did all of the above do I need to use the plastic/metal/splined washers before the snap ring ? Even if I use or dont use them the hub body won't go far enough in the put on the metal snap ring it's almost like the axel is not far enough out but from what i can tell everything looks perfect as far as that goes. Please anyone else with ideas please chime in as I am working in the dark and stuck !!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I don't install the lock washer then there is enough room to install the snap ring ? But then waht would keep the axle from hitting inside the pumpkin ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well spent all night and still am at a loss about this issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys I hate to keep posting but I could really use help with this issue as I have the front end all back together except for this Hub Issue, and I hate to see it out in the driveway on Jack stands. I called warn and all they could tell me is that some applications do not require the three washer and inner snap ring after the conversion from auto hubs bt could not tell me if mine was or could be on of them. I don't want to slap it all together and end up grenadeing something !!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Are you using the warn spindle nut conversion kit?,,, On mine I had to take a prybar in the U joint and pull the stub shaft into the hub some more to get the clip on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I am using the Warn Spindle Nut Conversion kit. I do have room to get the clip on but then the Hub will not seat for enough in to get the outclip snap ring on to hold the hub in place ?

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
You need to remove the stub shaft snap ring along with the washers otherwise the new locking parts will not fit deep enough into the hub body. You will also need to use that big spiral snap ring that Warn supplies, be sure to bend the end before you install, and not the stock retaining ring.

I know Warn's directions suck but a call to one of their engineering members helped explain things.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so let me confirm from the new spindle nut kit out the way it should be is. New conversion nuts etc, then the hub body and then the large snap ring and then the selector knob. So I do not need the 2 metal washers and 1 grooved washer and the factory inner axle retaining ring that would go behind the orginal factory hubs ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions before I slap the tires and wheels on and hope for the best ?

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
Ok so let me confirm from the new spindle nut kit out the way it should be is. New conversion nuts etc, then the hub body and then the large snap ring and then the selector knob. So I do not need the 2 metal washers and 1 grooved washer and the factory inner axle retaining ring that would go behind the orginal factory hubs ?
Correct that's how it should go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to give thanks to LOUDMOUTH ad PERONI for all ther help with this one. Thanks Guys !!!!

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
I have a 97 F350 and didn't have to use the conversion kit, the new Warn hubs fit with enough clearance ( push in-pull out clearance) that I didn't need it...if that helps any.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts