Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Smart A$$
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got the AE package in the mail and installed it right away. Then I hooked it up to my truck hoping to find all kinds of info why my 7.3 has been misbehaving. Didn't find anything yet. Ok, so is there somewhere on these forums where there is an AE section dedicated to the 7.3?

·
Smart A$$
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there were no codes that I could find and my truck has been running like sh!t.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What are the symptoms? Did you try and run the tests? Injector buzz, balance, etc?

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
There are only a few codes that can happen and NOT light the CEL. So, chances are good that if the CEL is not on, there are no important codes set.

In answer to your question, there isn't a place specifically for using AE to troubleshoot.
Your best bet would be to post in the 'Technical' thread that covers the year of your truck. I assume you're working on the '97 in your sig, so you're in the right place.

Now, carefully explain exactly what you are seeing, hearing, feeling, and smelling that makes you think it is not running correctly.
Once we have symptoms, we can work on troubleshooting. I do warn you though, not everything you may have to measure can be checked with AE. But, AE is VERY handy if you use it correctly.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
The ITP Diesel website has some great pointers for using AE. Good luck!
Best,
Jim

·
Smart A$$
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, there is no ses light.
the other morning when it was really cold it started really rough and then it died. cranked and cranked and started back up and died again. got it to stay running and drove it. it smokes something like a blue smoke that burns your eyes and stinks really bad. almost acidic like. uses about a gallon of oil every 100 miles or so. i believe that there is a oil seal or o-ring out on the turbo but it is too cold here to start wrenching on it.

i think there is a weak injector- how do i do all of the tests with ae?
yeah it is the truck in my sig

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
How does it run when it gets up to operating temp? If it gets better and stops smoking you may have a glow plug relay and/or glow plug problem. Use the procedure outlined here to troubleshoot the system:
Cold Weather? Hard Starts? - GLOW PLUG SYSTEM TEST - Powerstroke Nation
That thread is located in the 7.3 liter library.

Here is the page from ITP Diesel on AE guidance:
ITP Powerstroke Diagnostic Hints

These injectors can develop problems with cold temps. As it says on the ITP website, do an injector buzz test on a dead-cold motor and see what you get. Once it's running and up to temp, try a cylinder contribution test. One caution to keep in mind: If you have the newer grey cps, cylinder 8 and maybe 3 will show they fail the test. They are probably okay.

Report back on what you find and we'll try to help out some more.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
179 Posts
If its burning a lot of oil it could be injector orings. Could be many other things but that's the common one I would start looking at.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
with the exhaust that burns eyes very badly, and the using 4 qts in 100 miles :eek::eek:, that screams injector o-rings to me.
The hard starting sounds like something mostly unrelated.

Assuming 14mpg and 40mph, that's 1:7 ratio oil to fuel. If that was from the turbo seal, the turbo would not be functioning. Turbos very, very, very rarely just 'go bad'. way too many people see the oil in the intake and automatically assume the turbo is bad. 99.99999% of the time the oil you are seeing is from the crankcase breather.

So, two things to do:
1. Pull the injectors and replace the o-rings. http://www.diy-injector.com can help you with the o-rings. Jim is a good guy. Also, you may need copper washers for the injectors. I suspect that at the rate you're leaking oil, the copper crush washers may need replacement.
2. Check the glowplug system. This includes the relay. The stock one is VERY well known for being unreliable at higher mileage.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Burning oil very quickly and hard starting are very related when you have bad injector o-rings. The HPOS has to build additional pressure to overcome the leak between the oil and fuel systems. Been there, done that, lol.

With bad o-rings, the HPOS will be pumping oil into the fuel system everytime the engine is running.

Pull your fuel filter out and see what the fuel in the bowl looks like. If it's black, you've got bad injector o-rings.

Dave

·
Smart A$$
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, now I am getting somewhere with this dang truck. It has been giving me problems for a long time now. So this is really good and I am thankful for your guys' support.

JerseyJim, thanks for the heads-up on ITPs AE section. That was what I was looking for. I thought I had seen something like that and just couldn't remember where it was. I have already set a few of the settings according to what Dennis has posted on that page and I am excited to hook up the laptop to the truck again. Thanks for the direction of looking at the glowplug system- I am going to check that out but I don't think that is it because when the wait light is on the battery gauge goes way down and then after the truck starts you can see the battery gauge fluctuate back and forth a few times. We'll see. I have to wait until I can get a buddy over here to help out.

SmokeyRed and Cowboy Dan- I am leaning toward the injector issue like you say. I am going out to check the filter bowl today (and add more oil) and I think I am going to get those new injectors I have been wanting ordered today. And the turbo appears to be functioning just fine- I have the usual boost on the gauge. And what you say about the oil in the intake and how people mistake that for a bad turbo and not the CCV... that's what I thought. I have yet to do the CCV mod. Do new injectors usually come with new copper crush washers?

Another thing I noticed is that yesterday when it didn't want to start I cranked and cranked and had no oil pressure on the stock gauge. After a good amount of cranking the pressure came up but the starter was getting warm I am sure. So I cycled the glow plugs again and while I was waiting the oil stayed up and then it fired up when I cranked it again. I can't believe that the oil press. would stay up that long after the whole cranking/no oil press. Know what I mean? Maybe it's really low on oil again. I just figured that just after you start cranking the oil press. should come up and then stay for a short while after you stop cranking- not staying up as long as it did.

Well, I will hook the laptop up again and see what we got. I think this AE is going to be a huge asset. I'll keep you guys updated and thanks again.

Dustin

·
Smart A$$
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is a P0605 ICM ROM error? It pulled that code on the KOEO test.

Also when I hook it up and pull the DTCs I have:
P0478- Exhaust Press. Control Valve High
P0236- Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range/ Performance
P0470- Exhaust Press. Sensor

Also the Engine Oil Temp Input reads 31* when the ambient air temp is closer to 20*

This is all done on a cold engine- haven't started it up since last night.

·
Smart A$$
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did a CCT after I warmed it up. Hard starting today too. CCT said system pass. Not sure what that tells me other than all of the injectors are running fine. Did a buzz test before I ran it around the block and they all seemed fine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Did you do the buzz test with the engine cold?

Did you do the glow plug test?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Don't forget to check that fuel filter.

And yes, when you order injectors they come with new o-rings and coppers.

Dave

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Injectors should come with new washers, but better check just to make sure.

The oil pressure 'gauge' on the dash is not a true gauge. It is a needle version of an idiot light. The 'sensor' on the engine that drives it is really a switch that changes state (open-close or close-open, I don't remember which) when the lube oil reaches a certain pressure.

Not sure about the P0605. The others aren't anything to worry about since you did not have a CEL on.

On the EOT:
Make sure the engine was really and truly cold when you check the temp of the sensor. Once this engine (huge chunk of cast iron) is fully warmed up, it can take 8+ hours for it to get back to ambient.
The EOT definately could cause hard starting. When it reads warmer than the actual oil temp, the PCM will not advance the timing as much as it should for the cold weather. See here: motor slugish when cold - Powerstroke Nation the difference was really amazing for cold weather driving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts