Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Kawasaki Prairie 700, it has 4500 miles and over 700 hours of moderate to hard use.

My wife has an older Prairie with less then 200 hours and 1200 miles that has been babied from day one, no hard use.

The suspension on Her machine is really tight and firm compared to mine. Her machine does not bottom out when I ride it.

I cranked up the tension on the rear shock spring but my machine bottoms out hard on some of the whoops and ruts.

I am thinking about changing out the springs on the front struts and on the rear shock. Has anyone tried this instead of changing all of the struts and rear shock?

I was going to change everything out until I looked up the parts and cost through Kawasaki. Now I am looking at just springs.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
i think highlifter makes some overload type springs for your atv. they were a little pricey for me, but i didnt really need new springs either! new shocks/struts are crazy expensive! can you rebuild them or put thicker fluid in? not sure how kawasaki does their's.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The shock and struts are most likely bad. If the springs were weak or broken the machine would sit alot lower.

If possible rebuild the struts/shock and go from there. I don't see the springs being a problem unless they are physically broken or have lost tension.

Dave

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the high lifter overload springs today. Kawasaki uses McPhereson (sp) struts that are not rebuild able.

Talking to a ATV mechanic that has done several Prarie lifts and other mods he seemed to think the factory springs were shot.

Praries are heavy machines and with my 280lbs a front box with tools etc. I think/hope they are shot. Spring will cost $$ 150. Struts were $ 500 front and $ 800 rear. I have my fingers crossed that this will work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts