Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mark I`ve been reading some threads about swapping a 4R100 in my OBS. They did not say how there torque locked up and they changed nothing in the 4R100 they installed. Could you please tell me if this harsh TC lock up has to do with a PWM lock up or an NON PWM lock up. It looks like they used a stock or a built 4R100 with no changes.
Thanks Bill McIntire

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,088 Posts
The OBS and the early '99 used a NON-PWM lockup. The late '99 until the end of the 4R100 used PWM lockup.

If you put a PWM transmission where a non-PWM used to be the lockup is going to be very harsh. There is an orifice in the pump body that is either 0.030" or 0.040" (I can't remember which) and it's 0.250 in the PWM trans.

That doesn't seem like a big difference, but you need to look at the percentage difference. That's 1200% larger. that will bring on the converter clutch RIGHT NOW. Normally it takes 1-2 seconds to engage. Maybe they like it like that, or maybe they got lucky and used a trans with the non-PRM orifice.

Reactions: Zmann

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mark Transgo makes a kit ( 4R100 Lu ) to change a 2001 to an on/off torque lockup. so if I use this kit and a E4OD or early solenoid body from an E 99 4R100 will this work. and can I just put these parts in my 2001 4R100 without changing anything else.
Thanks Again Bill Mc

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,088 Posts
Yes, that will work. You might need to use the earlier TRS, I don't remember if the later one is compatible

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark Thank You Very Much for your time. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts