Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have asked this before on a different forum, didnt really get a 100% clear answer.

anyways, i have a spare turbo that im in process of rebuilding (attempting) this turbo seems to have a different "hot side" compared to the rest ive seen. Is the 093 ats version but im almost thinking that its the ats aurora 2000.

the reason i say this is that i got a catalog from ats and everything matches up to their kit of the 2000. the main differences that i can see between that one and my other two factory 093 kits are: the wastegate one piece tube, the "ats" stamped on the hot side, the "ats turbo" on the air box, 1/2" wider hot side, missing "international" id tag, and downpipe.

****The main question i have is are the internals the same? when rebuilding it is everything interchangeable???

here are a few pics of the differences

and here is factory, notice the hot side width

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Off topic here dirty, but i just noticed your sig. Is your speedo accurate? Im wondering what rpm youre runnin at 70 with those tires and gears.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Off topic here dirty, but i just noticed your sig. Is your speedo accurate? Im wondering what rpm youre runnin at 70 with those tires and gears.
yes is right, dont ask how i know :pullover::(

my rpms are at around 1800-2200 idk what exactly ill check next time i hit freeway. that is with overdrive. i think my final gear ratio is like 3.38 with my tires and gears (could be wrong tho) when i hit OD off then it jumps to around 2400ish doenst get very high.....without going over speedlimit. being lifted i try not to speed to much especially around curves and turns

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
It should be standard garrett T3-T4 parts in the turbo, so not only should it be the same as the factory turbo, but the same as other T3 or T4 based garrett turbos.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should be standard garrett T3-T4 parts in the turbo, so not only should it be the same as the factory turbo, but the same as other T3 or T4 based garrett turbos.
ok thanks, are they t3s? how much side-side shaft play is there after rebuild? right now it moves slightly side to side, doesnt hit the housing at all. and there is no in and out play.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
yes is right, dont ask how i know :pullover::(

my rpms are at around 1800-2200 idk what exactly ill check next time i hit freeway. that is with overdrive. i think my final gear ratio is like 3.38 with my tires and gears (could be wrong tho) when i hit OD off then it jumps to around 2400ish doenst get very high.....without going over speedlimit. being lifted i try not to speed to much especially around curves and turns
Alright, sorry for the hijack. Just trying to figure mine out, i have a set of 37s to put on, but i want 38s or 9s, and im contemplating going to 4.10s. Right now with 35s, 3.55s and the ZF, i still feel i could go a little lower and be happier. Ideally i want to cruise 70 at 17-1800. And i cant figure out the calculators to tell me what tire with what gears i need to do it.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have good power on the freeway, i can pass all day long at 80mph. just recently i plugged my WG so i just have to watch my boost, i ease off the pedal at 15psi. off of the starting line is pretty good, defiantly could be better but to get rolling i dont really start moving quick till about 1200-1300 rpm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
ok thanks, are they t3s? how much side-side shaft play is there after rebuild? right now it moves slightly side to side, doesnt hit the housing at all. and there is no in and out play.
It will have the same or more play than you have now. A brand new CHRA will touch the comp housing with no oil on the bushings.

As far as the exh housing, the one with ATS stamped on it seems wider outside but looks like the garrett ones side by side. I checked the last ones that I did. Forgot in your pm sorry.
The exit hole is a tiny bit bigger on the ats one.

It isnt an aurora. hot side t3 stage 3 , cold side is t4 H trim.

Dont use a cheap chinese rebuild kit the bushings are junk.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will have the same or more play than you have now. A brand new CHRA will touch the comp housing with no oil on the bushings.

As far as the exh housing, the one with ATS stamped on it seems wider outside but looks like the garrett ones side by side. I checked the last ones that I did. Forgot in your pm sorry.
The exit hole is a tiny bit bigger on the ats one.

It isnt an aurora. hot side t3 stage 3 , cold side is t4 H trim.

Dont use a cheap chinese rebuild kit the bushings are junk.
thanks again, maybe when your at justins sometime i could just drop it off to ya and let you do your magic? maybe even that new wheel?

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Yes they are T3's with a T04 compressor side. As long as there isnt any in and out, it spins freely, and it doesnt contact the housing, it should be good enough to run, but there is not telling what kind of shape the seal is in, If you have any doubts at all, just rebuild it. The kits are less than $100 on ebay, and as long as you have the wheels lined back up, you dont have to balance it, Worst case, even if you have to balance it, just take the shaft and wheel down to alamo turbos in kent and they can usually do it while you wait for under $100 bucks. $200 and you can have a brand new turbo.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or just let Typ4 do the dirty work for you, lol.
lol its always nice to have options!

before it took this one off it had a really nice whistle to it, but only boosted 13 max with it plugged and cruised around 2.5psi at 50mph , when i tossed on nmb2 old turbo it didnt whistle quite a much but the boost seems like it will just keep going up and cruised at 4ish at 50mph. so my next question: which would you run if you had the choice? wider hot side or not? i guess i could always bump the fuel up more with the wider turbo?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts