Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have 99 f350 w 7.3. am looking to do a few upgrades. currently have banks ottomind piggyback chip. aem bruteforce. banks wastegate. banks brake and 4 inch exhaust. the truck is a dd and i am looking to do mods that increase performance, mileage, and lower egts. other plans include ram air hood. fitch fuel catalyst. superchips flashpaq to replace current chip and banks intercooler. just curious if anybody has used the ATS ported shroud and if it is worth 425. also any other ideas on mods would be really appreciated

·
Woman Driver
235 Posts
Early '99 or late '99?

IMO a wicked wheel will do for ~75 what a housing will do for $425. That is if you've got a 'late'99.

Your biggest improvement can be had with a real tuner instead of the Banks crap.

·
Woman Driver
235 Posts
production date

driver's side valvecover, if it's still there. If not, door jamb, but they often differ.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
i love these guys who comin in here after readin diesel power mag for 5 years and seein gale banks on every page. yeah man get some good tunin

·
P.F.F.
177 Posts
Banks nut swinger:rolleyes:, check out the sponsor section. It will open a whole new world of diesel performance. And yes, if you plan on keeping the stock turbo an ATS housing is a good option, helped my truck out quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Welcome to PSN and don't let the Banks bashing bother you. Back on topic, I've done some testing years ago and if you do any pulling or drive in the mountains at all I found that the ATS housing will eliminate the surging you may have and deliver a nice sound from your turbo and a little performance gain as well. The Wicked Wheel (all brands are the same) will eliminate most but not all the surging. Using both did not show any improvement but was very loud if you drive for any given distance. My choice is the ATS housing and I think there is one in the for sale section. Plenty to read on PSN and a lot of great members to help you out when you need it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANK YOU for the useful advice on the turbo housing. i will actually buy that product now. i dont really get the anti banks thing that ive picked up on so far. i am pretty happy with how the stuff performs. im not looking to build a dragstrip monster. just good power mileage and RELIABILITY.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
THANK YOU for the useful advice on the turbo housing. i will actually buy that product now. i dont really get the anti banks thing that ive picked up on so far. i am pretty happy with how the stuff performs. im not looking to build a dragstrip monster. just good power mileage and RELIABILITY.
As you research more, you will begin to learn that Banks isnt necesarily the best. Some of the guys will be hard on you for it, but it works in the meantime. As for the turbo, deffinately get the ATS housing. I used both the ATS housing and Wicked Wheel, made a pretty nice combo:D You will deffinately love it, and the slight performance gain is worth it too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with Blowby. I had surge issues & went with the WW and it didn't cure all of my surge, but the ATS did cure all of my surge issues. As for the Banks stuff it's your $$ but like the other have said there is better tuners out there

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Banks:eek:You said the B wordLOL
Your Banks BigHead wastegate is worth keeping.You'll like the ATS housing and if you ever upgrade your turbo threy're usually easy to sell and get most of your money back.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I alike the ATS Housing just like Blowby said it works perfect. If I was going to do it again I would put a 1.0 exhaust housing and a wicked wheel and try that first. The 1.0 will lower your egt's and will help with the surge. I think you could do the 2 for less $ aswell.

If it means anything thats the route Banks goes vs a differnt compressor housing :poke:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks to all. will be ordering shroud and getting new tuner.. had considered superchips flashpaq 1855. mostly for the mileage xs tune. especially because lately the truck doesnt seem to have the power it did at first. can chips wear out???????????

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
thanks to all. will be ordering shroud and getting new tuner.. had considered superchips flashpaq 1855. mostly for the mileage xs tune. especially because lately the truck doesnt seem to have the power it did at first. can chips wear out???????????
if you are going for some new tunes, I would strongly suggest getting some custom tunes from a Sponsor here on the site. And for that housing, try the classifieds, they sell very cheap there, and a housing never goes bad, so dont worry about age

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just recently installed a Banks 1.0 A/R housing on mine. I also have the WW and ATS housing. With these three items I thought that it performed better then my TN JB turbo. The TN seamed laggy with no chip in the truck. But the stock turbo with all the goodies was a lot more responsive. As for tunes any sponser is highly recommended. I just recently upgraded to Beans Custom tunes and they are awesome. Good luck with whoever you choose.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I just want to echo what others have said. I had the Banks Power Pack and thought it was awesome and had lots of power.

Then my tranny blew up and I went to BTS and I had Cale burn me a chip. My thought was have tunes from the tranny builder everything would integrate better.

My chip in 60HP setting smokes the old Ottomind chip and gets better mileage. In 80HP setting it really runs good and gets 18MPG at 60-65MPH.

I still have the Banks inter cooler and 4" exhaust but the rest has been replaced. Banks does not live up to the hype and is deceptive in advertising.

I agree with get a chip from a Sponsor.

·
Proud PSN Sponsor!
2,138 Posts
I have had a number of customers mess with different combinations of compressor wheel and compressor housing, and every one of them that tried all of the combos has told me that the ported shroud housing with the STOCK compressor wheel was the best combination. I never recommend the aftermarket stock wheels, have not for years. You are always better off doing the ported housing, it was DESIGNED TO ELIMINATE SURGE...the early compressor wheel wasn't designed as an upgrade to eliminate surge, it was just found to help in some instances so that's how it gets treated.

I've got ported compressor housings in stock. They are not the ATS models as I got tired of them always being on backorder, among other things. They are also a bit less money for the same performance. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
If it were me, and I had the money. I'd run the ported housing. That being said. I run a WW and still have some surge if I try.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts