Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what atf should I use in my zf6 it says to only use mercon not multi purpose mercon- merconv all the good fluid I can find now is the multi purpose mobil 1 syn.schaeffers, amsoil can I just use the multi purpose stuff it seams like most people on here are.

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
Yes, you can use a "multi purpose", just make sure it is Mercon III or Mercon V rated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I looked in the archives and I guess they dont make just plain mercon anymore I guess that all changed in 2006.On the amsoil sight it says I can use the multi purpose stuff or the torque drive for my truck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks I looked in the archives and I guess they dont make just plain mercon anymore I guess that all changed in 2006.On the amsoil sight it says I can use the multi purpose stuff or the torque drive for my truck.
If they don't make Just the plain Mercon anymore what should I be using in my 96 E4OD?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Any current version of Mercon meets or exceeds the older versions.
But when I've asked at the 3 stores they tell me they don't have any Mercon.
So, I hate to ask, but.
What ATF do I need to add to my 1996 7.3 AT? It's just a little low.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Are you aware that Mercon V is a designation of fluid, and not a brand?

Even Walmart carries Valvoline's Mercon V rated ATF, among others.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes I am csp, but thanks.
I guess my question should be
"I have a 1996 7.3, the owners manual says I should use Mercon. Mercon is no longer produced, do I substitute Mercon V?"
Even if my transmission has Mercon in it (I have no idea what's in it) is Mercon V compatible, and I can just add it? I'm about a pint low.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Okay, Thanks JRF, I'll pick some up.
I noticed on the back it says do not use in transmissions that specify Ford Type F, Mercon V, and ...
I thought Mercon and Mercon V was compatible?
If I do a fill and flush I thought I was supposed to fill with Mercon V?
Can someone try to explain to the new guy, or at least gimme a reference link?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
That's the point I was driving at earlier by saying that the new stuff meets or exceeds the old stuff. It's always backwards compatible within a type of fluid (Dexron, Mercon, etc.).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cool, thanks csp.
Walmart was sold out. Went to auto zone and all they had was Castrol. But it's for Mercon and Mercon V.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts