Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

At my wits end with my 6.0

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bismic1 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 stock F-250 4x4.

So, a while back my HPOP went out on my wife. We got it towed to a Ford dealer, and they replaced that, the ICP sensor and pigtail. After that, it didn't run right, and it kept throwing the po402 code. So, I send it back in. They say nothing is wrong with it, so I tell them that when it is cold it has no power, feels like it isn't boosting at all and refuses to shift. They take it overnight and magically want to charge us $1200. Now the EGR valve is "bad" and the ICP sensor needs to be replaced and it has an exhaust leak on the passenger side manifold. I order the parts and realize that they just replaced the ICP sensor. We make them replace that again for free, my wife throws a fit and winds up getting attitude from the manager and then gets the diagnostic for free (it's great when you can hold having a husband that deploys over their head and threaten to not use them when he is out. Go wife). We walk out only being charged for an exhaust gasket and EGR valve.

I add the gasket to the manifold, replace the EGR valve, and it still throw the 402 EGR excessive flow code, now it is blowing black smoke between 2000 and 2500 RPM, and acts like a blowoff valve (which I know the 6.0 doesn't have) is lifting, sounds like it too. My wife calls again, and they say well maybe it's the injectors and we should bring it back in and they can check that. I was pretty sure that the diagnostic tool that I would assume the Ford dealer would have would be able to read more than my code reader. I don't trust these knuckleheads and am tired of having them spitball and try to charge me for them guessing when they don't have any clue what is going on.

I just did the turbo relearn procedure hoping that maybe when they took it out to get to the HPOP (oh yeah, they left off the plastic mounting push things for the wire holder at the back of the engine compartment so it was just hanging there) and it seems to be better. The turbo isn't whistling like a 747 taking off anymore and it feels like it more umph, but then it starts smoking again just a tiny bit when I stomp on it while I am up over 50ish. The EBP sensor and tube are clean (even though I am pretty sure that got flashed out of the computer anyway), the EGR is brand new, I can't find any leaks coming out of the turbo piping. I am just waiting for the 402 code to come back in. There is no oil in my coolant or coolant in my oil, so I don't think it is a failing head gasket. I am looking for any more ideas, or maybe someone else who has had the same crazy set of problems. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, last time it really started acting up losing power and blasting smoke I pulled this off my code reader;
:mad:
Trouble code p0402
Eng speed 1981rpm
Calc load 29.0%
Maf flow61.32(g4/sec)
Map 123(Kpa)
Coolant 199 degrees F
Iat 118 degrees F
Veh speed 68mph

See less See more
#2 ·
When's the last time you pulled the turbo out and cleaned it up? How Long did the have the truck when the did the hpop? Kinda sounds like the ring my be stuck and or hanging up. Also check the connector for the Vgt on the turbo and make sure it's connected good. After you replaced the gasket does it boost now? When you changed out the egr did you look in the intake by chance to make sure there was gunk under where egr sits, crazy it sounds but I had one that they kept throwing new valves in cause they were" broken" but it ended up a big pile under it holding it open slightly

#6 ·
Most likely it is an egr issue egr problems will make these trucks run like dodo. what are ebp volts? Can you check egr valve position at idle? Any good scan tool can display this info but im not sure what you have. The dealer tool can see tons of good info but the guy running it might of been flipping burgers yesterday. egr flow is calculated by iat1 vs 2 also on maf trucks uses ebp and maf ebp on 03my is inferred but still used just averages the signal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.