Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a 2003 F250 6.0L truck and I know of the nightmare that is the 6.0L engine, but I also know that they can be really good engines if the right things are repaired. What do I ask the seller about the engine to make sure its a good one and what kinds of things can I check? Please be specific as my diesel knowledge is small and I am still learning

Thanks
DF92

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
ask if the motor has ever been in for headgaskets, if so did he have ford tty headbolts used or headstuds, ask if its ever been tuned, if so what tuner, basically just ask about any mods done to it, what kind of oil used, what brand of filters used and how offen was it serviced

·
Registered
878 Posts
:whs: They are only a nightmare if they have lived a nightmare with a dumbass owner who cares not about his engine.....Happy Hunting

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
Get an oasis. I know maintenance is a big factor on these engines but if its kept up on, it wont give you much trouble. My dad has an 03 thats stock bare to the bone and all the way to the original tires. 1 injector replaced so far and 1 alternator at 55k miles. Get insanely good mileage. I HAND calculated 26 mpg on a mostly highway drive with the a/c on the whole time and clocked at 67mph. I know many will disagree with me there and start shotting at me for it but its true. The speedo could be off but i doubt being all stock and all. If the truck has a good history, buy it, take care of it, and it will take care of you....at least for the most part. :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
My speedo is off 10% as delivered by Ford. Try matching your speedo with a GPS to get an idea how close it really is to being right. Hand calculating form the odometer is no different than believing what the lie-o-meter tells you (if your truck has one)

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks for all this guys. I just really dont want to get something that looks okay then a few weeks down the road I have to put $$$ into it fixing something huge. Its an 03 f250 extcab long bed, 152xx miles for $12200, it has gauges and stacks already so im thinking whoever had it before me either 1. Knew what they were doing with a diesel and did good up keep on it or 2. Was some dumbass kid who put that stuff on and beat the piss out of the truck.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Usually with stacks and gauges, a programmer was there at some point. Some guys don't mind buying a truck with a programmer already. I would make sure it was an SCT myself and they used custom tunes. It's a good sign that they knew what they were doing and were probably on the forums.

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Few Questions

Whats an OASIS?
Whats a degas bottle?
I've heard an EGR Delete and new head studs can solve most 6.0L problems.. true?

·
Dead dinosaur consumer
163 Posts
the OASIS is a report from the stealership that tells any warranty work or repairs performed. They are all Able to communicate with each other and are interlinked. The degas bottle is the coolant recovery container located by the master cylinder. The delete and studs along with an oil cooler take care of the majority of the issues. I would strongly recommend an SCT X3 tuner with custom tunes to take every advantage of the power that this engine can produce

1 - 11 of 11 Posts