Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know the final torque specs for the ARPs? Everything I've read on the great-wide internet says 245. But my arp instal sheet says 210. Advice or explaination?

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Currently they are at 135 and letting them sit til the weekend.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
There were 2 different specs put out by ARP. The newest was 210 ftlbs. using the new ARP lube.
This....

Most of the stud jobs we do, they are torqued to 215 using the new torque lube. Higher performance trucks, are a little different.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't think about it being different for lube or dry. Makes since though. Trying to get the motor buttoned up this weekend.

This....

Most of the stud jobs we do, they are torqued to 215 using the new torque lube. Higher performance trucks, are a little different.
What do y'all torque for injectors? Ford manual I have says 24, ford tech told me 18.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't think about it being different for lube or dry. Makes since though. Trying to get the motor buttoned up this weekend.

What do y'all torque for injectors? Ford manual I have says 24, ford tech told me 18.
injectors 24

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I did my injectors to 30. And the late model spec is 26 not 24 (if the bolt is a T45, 24 if its a T40). MANY will tell you to exceed the factory spec a little, especially if you are running a tuner and/or larger injectors.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I torqued mine to 31.

Sent from my Smart Car

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Thanks again. I'll probably stick at 24-25. Went to 20 last night and snapped the torx bit so I gotta grab another

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
if you have a snap on dealer near you, the extended length T45 torx works awesome.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish we did. No big deal. I gotta grab some other stuff too. Kolbalt for me! Cheap and warranted. Besides, lowes is less than a mile from the house so I can exchange stuff easily

·
Registered
421 Posts
I didn't think about it being different for lube or dry. Makes since though.
Dry or lubricated is a huge difference. There is a significant difference in friction (clamping force vs. torque) between lubricants (oil assembly lube, ARP lube, etc.).

It's a free country, but I don't see any reason to:
  1. Use any lubricant other than that specified by the fastener manufacturer
  2. Use any torque specification other than that specified by the manufacturer
ARP is an extremely competent organization.

Plus, ARP head studs are designed to be reused – if they are not overtorqued and stretched. If the manufacturer lubricant specification is used and the studs are torqued to manufacturer specifications, they will not stretch. If alternative torques and lubricants are used, who knows if they will stretch or plastically deform in some way?

But, like I said, it's a free country. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dry or lubricated is a huge difference. There is a significant difference in friction (clamping force vs. torque) between lubricants (oil assembly lube, ARP lube, etc.).

It's a free country, but I don't see any reason to:
  1. Use any lubricant other than that specified by the fastener manufacturer
  2. Use any torque specification other than that specified by the manufacturer
ARP is an extremely competent organization.

Plus, ARP head studs are designed to be reused – if they are not overtorqued and stretched. If the manufacturer lubricant specification is used and the studs are torqued to manufacturer specifications, they will not stretch. If alternative torques and lubricants are used, who knows if they will stretch or plastically deform in some way?

But, like I said, it's a free country. Just my $0.02.

Very good info here. another thing to think about is the female side of the threads (those in the block) If you are removing and retorqing the head bolts a lot then you will eventually start to degrade the clamping force that is applied b/c the threads in the block will become stretched.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the original post, I was simply wondering why there were different torque specs given by ARP. What I have gathered from the help of everyone is the following.
Dry - 245lbft is outdated (used before ARP began supplying lube)
Lubed - 210lbft latest instructed
I torqued everything down to 210 today.
Had to work on a buddy's dodge today so didn't get much done on my truck.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
The last stud job I did on my buddies 6.0 was with the "new lube" from arp, and final torque per arp was 210. He has been running 190/100's for over a year now with no problems on one of matts hotter tunes. As for injectors, out of the hundreds of powerstrokes I've worked on, I've never put a torque wrench on an injector hold down bolt, and never will. Its all about the feel for me, and I'm yey to have an injector come lose.

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
When we did mine, we reused my studs so we didn't have the lube, we used white grease and torqued them to 240, and that's on an o-ringed set of heads

·
D66stroke
418 Posts
How long has ARP been using the 210 ft lbs rating??
Not sure but everyone I've talked to said they were redoing gaskets when they only torqued them to 210.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts