Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my truck studded with black onyx gaskets about a 1 1/2 years & 27K miles ago...this was done by a really big ford dealer and they "checked the heads" but didn't have them machined.

So I started puking really bad so I got a block tester and she went green really quick. It also seems to be a little down on power.

My question is if I have someone that really knows what they are doing I.E BTS Brains Truck Shop do the studs with oe gaskets and he always decks the heads will I still have problems in the future if I want 550rwhp?

I can't afford to keep studding this DANG truck.

Maybe I dont make enough money to own a ford:doh:

Or should I get it fixed and just sell it?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
just do the oem gaskets by a good shop and it should be fine... I learned the same exact lesson you did.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Possibly a short cut was not having them machined. It will still fail if it needs to be machined regardless of the gaskets you use. Any shortcuts or poor techniques will cause reoccurring problems.

My buddy has BlackOnyx gaskets on his truck. Ran modded with a PM and 190s pushing 550hp dynoed.........still has no issues.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ALWAYS TAKE THE HEADS TO A MACHINE SHOP! We use OEM gaskets every time also.
Have you had any fail with the OEM gaskets? If so what power level?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
guys are pushing over 1000+ using stock gaskets. They're the best ones to use.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Possibly a short cut was not having them machined. It will still fail if it needs to be machined regardless of the gaskets you use. Any shortcuts or poor techniques will cause reoccurring problems.

My buddy has BlackOnyx gaskets on his truck. Ran modded with a PM and 190s pushing 550hp dynoed.........still has no issues.
there is always one good one I guess... I used new remanned heads, and had them decked when I did mine, they still went bad.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is always one good one I guess... I used new remanned heads, and had them decked when I did mine, they still went bad.
You are saying that yours went bad with black onyx gaskets though right?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
yes... with black onyx gaskets... I need to update my signature

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Pull the valve covers and retorque the heads studs to 275 foot pounds.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know what the part # is for the OEM ford head gaskets?

I read somewhere that there is part # that doesn't include the oem bolts.

·
strokin baby!!!!!!!!
418 Posts
Does anyone know what the part # is for the OEM ford head gaskets?

I read somewhere that there is part # that doesn't include the oem bolts.
6c3z-6051-a for your 07 with 20mm dowels....

I have done over 600 headgasket/stud replacment and have only had one return with a blow headgasket which might have been result of 95k hard miles since i done the studs, towing a trailer daily and lots of Nos ran threw the motor but it is what it is.... Most of the trucks i build are 400-600 rwhp and some close to 700 rwhp on da juice, everyone is daily driven or tow rig. I check the heads flatness for .002 anything over i replace the head, very bad idea to machine these heads ive had a few trucks from other shops bring them to me where under hard accel the valves kiss the pistons due to the mil heads. I work for one of the largest Ford dealers in Texas so i dont do the half way wrenching on ANY truck!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
What is the proper torque for STOw

"You know nothing Jon Snow"
Have you ever tried it? 275 foot pounds and victor reinz will hold on a 500 hp truck, but not on a 700 plus one. 210 as arp suggest and victor reinz will not hold on a 400 HP truck.

·
professional slacker
632 Posts
Have you ever tried it? 275 foot pounds and victor reinz will hold on a 500 hp truck, but not on a 700 plus one. 210 as arp suggest and victor reinz will not hold on a 400 HP truck.
No I have not tried it....at least not on a 6.0,thats why I asked......and I meant ARPs not STOw (darn phone).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hmmm. So what does everybody torque them to? ARP speck or???

1 - 20 of 69 Posts