Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I looked into this several years ago, there were two manufacturers and I can't remember much abou them. Are these things still around and how much do they cost and what kind of mpg can I expect to gain. I currently get a consistent 18.5 stock and 19-19.5 with my chip. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yes, gear vendors should have one. I think it would be the kind that hangs off the end of the tcase though, not sure.

·
1,096 Posts
Gear Vendors makes a OD for both 4x4 and 4x2.

I'm putting one in now. I should have results by midsummer.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
:rockwoot:
can't wait to hear how it does

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
So, with a double overdrive and a 3.73 gear is see about 1575rpm at 70.
With the 3.08 and double overdrive, I see about 1200 rpm at 70.
Right or wrong!!!!!!!!!!

JonFord

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be involved to hook this up to a 4x4?

·
1,096 Posts
I'm looking for 1225 RPM @ 70 MPH.

The 4x4 version is more common and less expensive. The 4x4 version has a switch that disengages the overdrive when you engage the 4x4.

Should be operational next week.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you mean by "Guy took a six speed with a brown lite out"? Do these things work all the time or can they be disengaged to to run the stock gearing? Sorry, I obviously know squat about these, but like the concept. Will they hold up to towing? I remember years ago, on TDS, there was a guy that towed quite heavy and he felt these were not up to the task.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
What do you mean by "Guy took a six speed with a brown lite out"? Do these things work all the time or can they be disengaged to to run the stock gearing? Sorry, I obviously know squat about these, but like the concept. Will they hold up to towing? I remember years ago, on TDS, there was a guy that towed quite heavy and he felt these were not up to the task.
The gear venders can be turned off or on . Go here an read sir .http://www.gearvendors.com/

·
brandon
778 Posts
Dave, was it you that said they trash an auto? I can't remember, I know i wanted one but i forgot about it since i have an auto.

·
1,096 Posts
I previously had one on a GMC with a 6.2 diesel. After installing the GV, the truck spectacularly destroyed two TH400s and was working on a third. Consult your favorite automatic builder.

You can tow your brains out with a GV. They were originally designed for use with a British Bedford deuce-and-half. Think you tow heavier than a deuce-and-a-half?

If so, get a CDL and trade your pickup for a 4700 tractor.

·
Gun Clinger
58 Posts
I know it's been discussed before about turning too low of rpms and therefore not pumping enough fluid to keep an auto cool because not enough fluid passes through the cooler. Would a 6.0 tranny cooler fix that or is it related to volume?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
my thinking is that it would be more related to clutch pressure. a little extra cooling couldn't hurt though.

·
Gun Clinger
58 Posts
my thinking is that it would be more related to clutch pressure. a little extra cooling couldn't hurt though.
If that's the case then it should be an easy fix. If it's not enough fluid to keep the tranny lubed then I guess you could upgrade the pump as well. I wonder if a new valve body and bigger cooler would be enough?

Can't wait to hear from Dave and how this works with 3.08 gears.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know it's been discussed before about turning too low of rpms and therefore not pumping enough fluid to keep an auto cool because not enough fluid passes through the cooler. Would a 6.0 tranny cooler fix that or is it related to volume?
What is the optimal (I.E. safe) rpm to run a GV on 6.0/5sp AT?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts