Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a new flip-chip for my 01. I have done a bit of research and have never come across this but it is a concern i've had. Is constantly switching back and forth between tunes harmful at all on a pcm? A mechanic friend warned me of this and claims that over time they will "take out" the pcm.

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
hmm i have been runnin one since 1998 in my 97 orginal pcm, i did get a new chip in 2003 since I had an "old" ts style chip and there were not many people to reburn them, and mine decided to die upon reburn.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
You should'nt have any problems with ts. If there were problems that came from them then i am sure they would not be reccomended so much. Just make sure you dont switch anything while the engine is under a load. I have heard of a couple ppl havin problems with switching chips at wot or under a load going up hill and stuff. It tends to throw the computer off, although i have had no problems like that im surely not gonna try.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is merely substituting memory bits..... nothing harms the PCM unless you remove the chip with power on the PCM...
thats exactly what i want to hear. thanks.

·
<----Colin Banks
3,001 Posts
The only thing I know of that has killed a few PCM's is the Edge Evolution. 3 friends of mine had that happen to them. But luckily they all took to the dealers for a reflash and they were fine.

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
If your going to buy a flip chip I reccomend getting it from that man right there, Matt with Gearhead,
Just put his chip on mine and it is awesome, I'm getting awesome fuel economy now and truck has
Plenty of power. Best investment I've made so far!

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
The only thing I know of that has killed a few PCM's is the Edge Evolution. 3 friends of mine had that happen to them. But luckily they all took to the dealers for a reflash and they were fine.
My old edge evolution killed my early bird pcm as well.It corrupted it some how.Was a good excuse to the wife though to buy a used pmt1 and the edge has never been back on.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
You should'nt have any problems with ts. If there were problems that came from them then i am sure they would not be reccomended so much. Just make sure you dont switch anything while the engine is under a load. I have heard of a couple ppl havin problems with switching chips at wot or under a load going up hill and stuff. It tends to throw the computer off, although i have had no problems like that im surely not gonna try.
:whs:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so i found out why my mechanic told me that a flip chip will take out a pcm.

its because people install them without realizing that they need to secure it with a piece of duct tape or something. they don't think about engine vibration and other things that may cause it to come loose and short out the pcm.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
ok so i found out why my mechanic told me that a flip chip will take out a pcm.

its because people install them without realizing that they need to secure it with a piece of duct tape or something. they don't think about engine vibration and other things that may cause it to come loose and short out the pcm.

6 Years and 750k and not one PCM issue... Never have taped the chip in... Another mechanic just saying what he heard from a friends buddys wifes friends uncles brother...:blah:

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Only thing that will fry the PCM is if you don't tape it in or have the wire to the knob hid right and you pull it out with your foot when you push in the clutch. Don't ask me how I know :doh:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
6 Years and 750k and not one PCM issue... Never have taped the chip in... Another mechanic just saying what he heard from a friends buddys wifes friends uncles brother...:blah:
all i know is that if i dont tape mine in it would fall off before even start the damn truck. i'll take his word for it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ BTW this mechanic im referring to is a senior master tech at the Ford dealership. its not like hes just some guy at jiffy lube

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.