Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some have already posted about this, but I figured I would add my 2 cents.

I got some of the 9100 (haven't used this yet) and I figured I would pick up some of the 6200 fuel treatment as well since I heard good thing about it. Yeah, I read the reports of what was inside it...I guess someone sent a sample into a lab for testing and it basically didn't have anything special of note in it.

Anyway, I kept a log of my average mileage, both hand calculated and using the lie-o-meter built into the truck before adding the 6200. This is a 2004 Excursion BTW. I only have two full tanks run through since adding the 6200 (half an ounce to 40 gallons if I recall correctly) and so far I have seen what I consider to be a significant change. Before, my average (with quite a bit of city driving) was 14.5MPG calculated and 14.3 on the lie-o-meter. After two full tanks and no changes in my driving habits or other changes to the Excursion I am at 15.4 calculated and 15.6 on the built in meter. I don't trust the meter obviously, but I do trust my hand calcs. I know two tankfuls isn't really much data to use, which is why I said this is preliminary, but it certainly IS promising! After a few more tanks I'll update as appropriate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Winter fuel change to summer fuel?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about that just before you had replied and I asked the owner of the station (he provides bulk fuel to many of the places around here so he knows what's what) and he said they hadn't switched yet because temps were still getting to freezing at night and sometimes hovering just above freezing in the day.

Update though....the next tank had me sitting at 15.6 on the meter (still) and 15.9 hand calculated. That just seems way too much of an increase from any one product, so to test things out in reverse I'm now running a couple tanks without any....and yes, we're still on winter fuel. For now anyway. Will be interesting to see how things go once we switch over.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To sum up my findings, any benefit was miniscule and didn't warrant the cost of the additive. I definitely got more bang for my buck with a high quality synthetic two-stroke oil added to the fuel every fill-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts