Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two from bob neither work for crap. He doesn't have an answer for why they dont so Im thinking its the dimmer knobs themselves. Does anyone have a dimmer knob that works properly?
Kevin

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
are you talking about the actual dimmer made by autometer for gauges with led lighting?

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No this dimmer was sold by bob at the diesel site. Does the autometer one actually work? I'm tired of them no dimming properly so I just need one that works. And these are led .

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I've always had them wired into the factory dimmer (OBS & SD) & never had an issue even with the LEDs. Never used an aux dimmer before. Never really messed with Auto Meters on an 05+ so can't say for sure how different they are.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ill have mine installed by the end of the day and let you know how it works.

Its only like $35.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I've always had them wired into the factory dimmer (OBS & SD) & never had an issue even with the LEDs. Never used an aux dimmer before. Never really messed with Auto Meters on an 05+ so can't say for sure how different they are.
I have my Ultralites dim with the factory light switch also...

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just dont want everything on my dash going dim at once. If I have the gauges down low, i like to still be able to see everything else without squinting

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
i hooked up three autometer cobalt guages, dimmer wire tapped into the dimmer wire behind the light switch so everything would dim together. worked for about 3 months then driving down the interstate, the headlight switch shorted, a shot of smoke come out of the dash, and the whole truck went dark, headlight/dash/trailer/dome, all of it. doin 75mph down the interstate at 3 am pulling a 13k g/n, thats freaky.

i now have the dimmer wire trippin a relay to power all lighting aspects. then i got the dimmer from autometer and tapped that in.

on a side note, when i got my guages in, and tapped like the first example, i could not get them dim enough. you can also put that dimmer inline, and "dim the dimmer",

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay well I see that the factory dimmer will work. But does anyone use an aftermarket one that works just as well?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
if you want it to dim with the dash, yo have to use the factory one. other wise, if its still to bright, or you want it seperate, get the autometer dimmer, and put it either in addition to, or seperate from the factory one.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, installing an autometrer dimmer sometime next week

1 - 13 of 13 Posts