Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting my early 99 to a late and need to get a new intake spyder and started looking at what options are out there, if I have to spend $100 or so on a stock setup I am thinking about the extra for one of these. I know the CFM one gets the axe in a lot of posts here and for a bolt on @ $400 doesnt give you much increase VS other things but I do remember reading that you need to be in a higher HP level to see some of its benifits but not sure what level it was if any. Amazon has the Bladerunner for $287.00 so thats still $100+ less than the CFM but its all aluminum and is cast. Anyone actually have or used one?

I am also wondering if it might slightly if any help my overall setup mabey the CFM one more so than the AFE.

I have a 38r, RR, 910's, DI push rods, 6637, mild ported heads, Gearhead cam and tunes and all the other usual stuff.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I,m gonna be doing some turbo upgrades here in the next couple weeks, soon as all the stuff gets here. I,m not a high HP guy, but it will run pretty good for what it is, LOL. Part of the changes is going to a CFM + spyder, I,m dropping the WW and going to a van turbo set up with a ATS housing instead. If I knew back then waht I know today, I would have never wasted money on the wheel. Yeah its a cheap fix for surge, but the performance isnt up there on the top end. I,m gonna do some temp reading with my theromo gun, write it all down, and then do it again with the CFM. Put the results on here for you guys too see. Not expecting to see huge differences, but I though you guys might like to see.

Dan

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That will be interesting to see what difference it makes for you. I would like to know if its worth it as a whole to have one in my build or just go AFE or stock. I realize its not a huge gain but somone here must have used one before and after?

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I use to build a lot of motors, 0ne thing you learn, and most on here know it. Is you change this or that and over time it adds up. one mod by its self might not be a seat of the pants thing but it might help another work better than it would have by its self.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Its the same part... The factory piece is a 3"... The CFM is a 3"... The AFE is a 3"... So please tell me how swapping a 3" Y pipe for a different 3" Y pipe (thats shaped EXACTLY THE SAME) will gain you ANYTHING.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the AFE and really like it. There's a little blade in the crotch of it that it supposed to balance the airflow. Unlike the stock piece , it's a two piece design so the hot air from the turbo doesn't heat soak the air from the intercooler. It also makes it easier to put in since you can wrestle the boots one or two at a time.

·
Rock Steady
959 Posts
Sorry man , I have never owned one of these so I cant honestly say. Good luck with whichever route you choose .

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I think if you run dp tuner tunes you must run one of these also, gullible people
Really, I bet your on the TS chip band wagon too. I got my DP chip back when everyone, and I mean everyone thought they were the Gods of tuning. You come on here and muck up a good thread with your worthless smack talk. No one said you had to run a DP chip, but I do and I,m very happy with it. Now if that makes me gullible, oh Fuking well !!! Better than being an azz hole like you ! Now go find something to do, even if its wrong.

Dan

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I think if you run dp tuner tunes you must run one of these also, gullible people

LOL

See, now thats just funny... If I said that, I would get a vacation...:psn:

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I have the AFE and really like it. There's a little blade in the crotch of it that it supposed to balance the airflow. Unlike the stock piece , it's a two piece design so the hot air from the turbo doesn't heat soak the air from the intercooler. It also makes it easier to put in since you can wrestle the boots one or two at a time.

Having cut up several stockers, I can tell you there is little if any heat soak going on with a part that is well over 3/4 of an inch thick where they are attached.

Good sales pitch is what they have...

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
Having cut up several stockers, I can tell you there is little if any heat soak going on with a part that is well over 3/4 of an inch thick where they are attached.

Good sales pitch is what they have...
I would love to see egt's before and after one of those. Bet it doesn't make any difference. Particularly since the compressor is still attached to the drive turbine where all the heat is anyway LOL.

It's pretty much a bling piece, with maybe the added benefit of not having to remove the entire spyder to work on things. There are much better things to spend that kind of money on that will actually make a difference. Like water injection.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should have went the t4 route instead of tryin to go with sd stuff. Just my opinion
That is some real useful info right there, mabey I should have just bought a Dodge then too?

Its the same part... The factory piece is a 3"... The CFM is a 3"... The AFE is a 3"... So please tell me how swapping a 3" Y pipe for a different 3" Y pipe (thats shaped EXACTLY THE SAME) will gain you ANYTHING.
I am with you on its the same part, that I get. The same could be said for a lot of other parts that look alike under different brands. So is the stock Y pipe the end all of intakes?

I wanted to hear if anyone has actually used one, not recycle the same thing like all the Banks stuff gets. I can see from a complete stock POV if you bolt it on and expecting some big gain then yes I cant see much change, but as a supporting mod with more upgrades than the average powerstroke guy is there some benifit over the factory one? Dont get me wrong I am not buying any sales pitch cause if I did I wouldn't have returned that BD turbo I bought when I asked for advise here and everyone told me to get a 38R, not because they heard it was better but because the people that spoke up actually have or had one and that it works and is proven.

I am at that point if I have to buy one anyways with the cash I have laid out for this motor over this amount of time, then I am considering a new one vs some stock piece and thought someone might have done the same.

Another great piece of advise right there make that a sticky please! LOL

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Its all about the seat of the pants effect, if you dont feel it, then its a waste of money. LOL !! Some people just cant think outside the box, even if they tried.

Dan:psnb:

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Oh good lord...

Go buy the damn thing if you want to... I ported my stocker when I modded it for the H2e kit I built, did it help? Who knows, but it took me maybe an hour.

I guess a 4" exhaust by flopro doesnt flow as good as a 4" from MBRP... Because the MBRP costs more...

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I think with a stock turbo you wouldnt see much of a difference, but with a moded one or say a 38r you may. They claim 15% gain in flow over the stock spyder so something must be better, could just be that its a lot smoother inside. You got the same results by polishing yours, I thought about doing the same thing to a stock one as well. I have a DIamond eye exhaust, i,m sure it flows as good as the big names too. Funny thing is , they make most of the exhaust for the big guys, they just put their name on the box, LOL.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Paint your stock one all pretty. Paint CFM on it and take someone for a ride. Ask if they feel a difference. Chances are theyll say yes. Its all in your head with those parts

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I already painted mine up nice to match the IC tubes, that should be good for atleast 5 maybe even 10 horse power, LMAO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts