Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 F250 I bought on Ebay a few years back. It has always been a hard starter and runs rough until warmed up. I took it to a good Diesel shop and was told it had 3 sticky injectors and they were sticky on the oil side not fuel side. I was looking for a way to free them up with out replacing them.
Has anyone tried Marvel Mystery Oil? I checked out their website and it was recommended for this application. I just put it in yesterday because I was due for an oil change. I towed a car last night and I am not so sure it was running better already, but we'll have to see about the hard starting.
Anyone else tried this???

·
FNG
6,017 Posts
I wouldnt use it in a truck it actually takes away the lube properties of fuel.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
It might help...it might not. I have heard of a few people running 2 qrts in these trucks with no issues but no miracles. Why not try something like RevX...the 6.0 crowd raves about the stuff and they claim it does wonders for their injectors. It is a little pricy but if it helps you save 2k on new sticks...if it doesn't work well $40 or whatever it is ain't going to break the bank.

I use it in my lawnmower's fuel to help with smoke on cold starts but hmm..there are just a few differences between my 4.5hp murry and our trucks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i havent heard any good or bad stories about mmo.i switch to rotella t5 10w30 in the winter in the excursion,helps a ton.(its a syn blend,bout $16gal at wallyworld)plugging in the block heater always helped it too.with the 15w40 it wont even start below freezing.what interval do you change the oil at?that plays a big roll in how many miles you get from a set of injectors.ive got 265k on the original set.

·
super tuner
164 Posts
my dad swears by the stuff. i know it has some cleaning solvents in it that may help clear up some oil in sticky injectors so i would give it a shot. but you should really use a product that is more intended for this purpose(Rev-x)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I change the oil every 5 thousand. I put 20% MMO and did not plug in the pickup overnite. It got down to 25 degrees and she fired right off. It has NEVER done that in the past. I'll have to wait and see how it acts as time goes on. Might blow up today??

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Can this diesel shop remove the injectors for you and have them cleaned and how much will it cost?

I have cleaned injectors besides 7.3 injectors but I would expect it would be the same. I regularly have them cleaned or tested (about 100K) for diesel injectors. When I hit 100K the last time, I changed them to Stage II Single shots so no cleaning and testing is required.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The shop said no cleaning. I will get on and ask on the MMO site. I'll let everyone know how this little experiment works out. So far, so good.
If it can be disassembled, it can be cleaned. Ask another shop.

·
Registered
368 Posts
cleaning will only get you so far though.the problem is usually caused by poppet wear.to fix it right they need shimmed at the least.thinner oil or thinning the oil helps but only masks the real issue at hand.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
cleaning will only get you so far though.the problem is usually caused by poppet wear.to fix it right they need shimmed at the least.thinner oil or thinning the oil helps but only masks the real issue at hand.
True. I would like to have it cleaned first before we do any testing though. Once all that is done, if it can be fixed, it would be something to look into.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I like the sounds of that Kreen stuff. I just ordered 2 qts. for my 94' Jeep with 121k mostly town driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the sounds of that Kreen stuff. I just ordered 2 qts. for my 94' Jeep with 121k mostly town driving.
Kano labs has great products . Their Kroil is fantastic, no shop should be without it. I also ordered some Kreen, but I am still reluctant of putting it in my Ford . I am going to try it in a couple of other diesels I own first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.