Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like everyone else, I’m having a hell of a time finding Rotella T6 5w-40 or Delo 400 XSP 5w-40 that I usually run in my truck. Even the places I’ve found that said that they can order, “but it might take a couple of weeks” have bumped the prices up sky-high. One place was wanting $160 for a 2.5gal jug of T6…that’s $64 a gallon!! I was buying gallons of T6 this summer for $28 on Amazon.

So I was talking to one of the guys I work with who has a brother that’s a lab tech at a large petroleum company. I was telling him that I was having a hard time finding diesel oil….he said “why don’t you just run the 5w-40 Euro oil that Mobil1 or Castrol makes?” I told him that I assumed that the diesel oil was a “heavy duty” oil, and the Euro car oil just wasn’t as good of an oil for my diesel truck. “Nope” he said…”it’s basically the same thing as far as data specs and test results, pour points, etc, etc……..it has more to do with emissions equipment and warranty ratings”.

In other words……he told me that on older trucks that don’t have all of the emissions stuff on them, and don’t have to run a certain spec oil to meet a warranty requirement…..you are just fine running the 5w-40 Euro car oils.

I can get a 5qt jug of Mobil1 5w-40 Euro synthetic oil for $22 ($4.40/qt)…….with the way things with oil are now, if you can even find T7 it’s more than double that price.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
You need something that is CJ/CK rated.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need something that is CJ/CK rated.
Why? According to this lab tech guy, the CJ/CK rating just has to do with emissions....that wasn't even a rating that was around back with the 6.0 powerstrokes came out. It has nothing to do with how "Strong" the oil is.

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
No, it doesn’t. It has to do with AW additives, and its ability to hold soot in suspension as well as other differences. Gasoline oils do not do, nor are designed to do, the same things as diesel oils. I suggest you do some reading here A Review of Mineral and Synthetic Base Oils - Bob is the Oil Guy

And yes, when the 6.0L came out, it certainly called for CJ4 rated oil. You don’t believe me, read your owners manual.

Cx oils are diesel rated and Sx oils are gasoline rated.

you need an oil with 1000 ppm of P and Zn. Gasoline oils will not have it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Use any grade of diesel engine oil except a monograde.

5w40
10w30
15w40
15w50

These would all be better than regular engine oil
Euro blend is marketing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like everyone else, I’m having a hell of a time finding Rotella T6 5w-40 or Delo 400 XSP 5w-40 that I usually run in my truck. Even the places I’ve found that said that they can order, “but it might take a couple of weeks” have bumped the prices up sky-high. One place was wanting $160 for a 2.5gal jug of T6…that’s $64 a gallon!! I was buying gallons of T6 this summer for $28 on Amazon.

So I was talking to one of the guys I work with who has a brother that’s a lab tech at a large petroleum company. I was telling him that I was having a hard time finding diesel oil….he said “why don’t you just run the 5w-40 Euro oil that Mobil1 or Castrol makes?” I told him that I assumed that the diesel oil was a “heavy duty” oil, and the Euro car oil just wasn’t as good of an oil for my diesel truck. “Nope” he said…”it’s basically the same thing as far as data specs and test results, pour points, etc, etc……..it has more to do with emissions equipment and warranty ratings”.

In other words……he told me that on older trucks that don’t have all of the emissions stuff on them, and don’t have to run a certain spec oil to meet a warranty requirement…..you are just fine running the 5w-40 Euro car oils.

I can get a 5qt jug of Mobil1 5w-40 Euro synthetic oil for $22 ($4.40/qt)…….with the way things with oil are now, if you can even find T7 it’s more than double that price.

Thoughts?
In all (3) of my 6.0’s I run Rotella T6 15-40 not the 5-40. Order it at WalMart.com and use it in my Cummins too. I buy enough our local store stocks it most of the time. If they are out next day WalMart online $24 gallon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts