Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few trips back and forth between dealership and spring shop, I've found out Ford upgraded the front leaf pack at some point. The old style are Burlin (sp) where the leafs are seperated at the eyes. the newer style are clamped tight together. the dealership won't allow you to buy the shackle, you need to purchase the shackle AND the entire leaf. (originally thinking the shackle bushings were causing a clunk in my front end)

Has anyone had their leafs replaced? $190 a pair (for me to do it) and i'm hoping it'll solve my clunk and what sounds like a ball peen hammer hitting the floorboard right under my feet every now and then.

·
"mad cow" member
642 Posts
All my SD's front springs have been changed to OE X code springs, they all are banded near the eyelet. I don't think that's anything new, most of mine have been on for 8 - 10 years or so.

The hammering sound under your feet is usually caused by worn out sway bar end link bushings.

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled my sway bar off to eliminate it, so that isn't the sound

·
Registered
579 Posts
hmm My 99 7.3 has the banding at the eyelets as well.. so either it was upgraded... which I severely doubt knowing the original owner, and I never did it, then I just got lucky with a good set of springs? I dunno, i do want to have mine rearched or if its possible someone mentioned putting a rear overload spring to the front spring pack as a leveling kit.. thats something I kinda wanna do, my front end is starting to sag a little, definitely time for new shocks all around for sure tho.

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could also be shock absorbers..
body mounts..
front driveshaft as well
short of replacing everything, I've been going checking over everything with a fine tooth comb. shocks were replaced last year, 2wd, so no front driveshaft, and the body mounts look like they're in decent shape.

i forgot to mention in my first post, I'm now wondering if the Burlin style leafs were on the 450/550 trucks and all the lighter duties had the other leafs. (mine is a 450)

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt- I was thinking the same, but I replaced the bushings in the leafs. The shackle bushings that mount to the frame are a different story though. No one carries them anymore. The shackle is a dealer item only, and if you want to buy the shackle, you have to buy the leafs with it, and the dealer couldn't tell me if the frame bushing was included. At this point I'm wondering if its worth it to go to a scrap yard and pull a set of shackles off a decent shape truck to try

1 - 10 of 10 Posts