Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was laying in bed last night thinking about the 6.9 I'm about to work on. Before long it hit me...why not turbo this engine...I'll probably get better MPGs along with the extra power.

What sort of MPG differences have you guys seen? Did you leave the compression ratio alone?

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Search. These questions have been asked a million times
Sure would be a lot more concise to have a few replies stating turbo, boost numbers, comp ratio, and mileage change...but hell, there's a search feature...it would be just as well for me to spend a few hours searching unrelated posts from 5 years ago rather than asking politely for a quick answer from a number of people. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should just make this a blog site...then we can all just search each other's blogs for info. :poke:

-Phillip

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Sure would be a lot more concise to have a few replies stating turbo, boost numbers, comp ratio, and mileage change...but hell, there's a search feature...it would be just as well for me to spend a few hours searching unrelated posts from 5 years ago rather than asking politely for a quick answer from a number of people. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should just make this a blog site...then we can all just search each other's blogs for info. :poke:

-Phillip
Oh trust me, I got it. You just don't want to search, you want to be spoon fed the info.

here you go:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=6.9+IDI+mileage+gains+after+turbo%3F

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
For the quick simple answer... It doesnt matter how much you turn up your fuel, it matters (On a turbo engine) how far your right foot is to the floor. The Turbo will make it so your foot is further from the floor, equating to better mileage. Thats because there is pretty much unlimited air going into the engine, and diesels are regulated by fuel.

It pretty much goes like this... If your HG's will take it (read: studs) then crank the boost and fuel up as much as you can, and keep your foot out of it for the best mileage. On a stock pump, with a turbo, you can pretty much turn your pump up as far as it will go, and lock the wastegate and be fine.

Like I said, simple answer...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the quick simple answer...
Like I said, simple answer...
I appreciate the info, but I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I understand diesels and making power...I was building diesels when building diesels wasn't cool. I don't really need the how and why of things (but again, I do appreciate it.) This thread has fallen apart, so I am going to start over with a fresh thread.
-Phillip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.