Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 8400 in on a 9400 4x. Went from 220hp to 425. im in the process of setting the farm equipment up to modern times from my dad. We had a 12 row planter, 15ft drill, and 24ft tillage..... im up to a 16 row, 33ft cultivator, still got the drill

my question is, i farm about 800 acres of row crops(my dad farmed 2500 b4 he passed away-thats why ive got some monster tools)
i am always interested in new tools in farming and have been stuck on strip till for quite some time. no one remotely close to me strip tills tho so im sol on getting openions or help.

I am interest in getting a nice strip till unit( looked at the 2510JD) has to be pull type(bareback tractor). i want to get a 16 row, be able to do everything in once pass. the tractor will also end up getting JD autosteer, its allready pre wired and everything. i just need openions on the strip tilling and if its worth the jump for the equipment. i think if it works out good there could be a market to do it customfor others. i know ive got the time and patience to learn it!

thanks for your help guys!

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wondering if id be able to pull a bigger unit, the 9400 is set on 710/38s.... def got the rubber to the ground i think!! was thinking if possible a 24 maybe!?!

·
Registered
806 Posts
We have a few guys who strip till in the area, we are not one of them. I would recommend running the same size bar as your planter for headlands, around waterways, etc. I would assume a 9400 would pull a 24 row, but not 100% on that. Also, most guys in our area use RTK for strip tilling, and in the planter tractor. What are you running for a planter tractor? You looking to go to 100% strip till, or just on certain acres? I know the government pays you fairly well to strip till, but keep in mind you will probably need to spray 3 times as well...

Almost all of the strip till units I see in our area are pulled by Quadtracs... You pulling a 33ft cultivator with the 9400? That is a lot of fuel and weight for a 33 footer...

·
Registered
74 Posts
we strip tilled for 3 years. Along with the extra spray we had about 10% less yield too. Also here in NW ohio it was a pain in the butt with trying to do it and have the soild dry enough. ended up selling ours going back to conventional. just my 2 cents

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i upgraded toa 45 ft cult. the 33 was on my 8400 only thing i had to demo with lol

i think i will end up staying with conv till, did some reading and just doesnt look like conv can be beat. hope to be able to run a dominator in fall and knock it down with a salford or turbotill in spring. those 3 tools do amazing!! keep coming with input tho, maybe i might demo a jd unit.

i plan on if was worth it id run 100% strip til. i hit 270bpa with conv tillage. i do not notill corn

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
If you really want to do it right, get RTK and size everything the same, or nice multiples. I.E. 16R planter (16/31 if you want to plant your beans as well as corn), 16R strip till, 16R (40') combine, 80-90' sprayer.
Then you can do controlled traffic also. Not many guys in the US seem to like controlled traffic, but I've heard good results from it in Australia.

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im working on that

im running
16r planter
42ft cult.
getting 40ft salford
8 row CH
still to update
15ft jd 750 drill