Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 02 excursion and am unhappy with the ride quality. Looking for a suspension that will handle rougher backcountry roads without having to idle through everything, but also tow 8-10k lbs when needed.

Not interested in the V/B swap as I don't like spending upgrade money on factory stuff I also priced it out and for around $1,120 more I could have the icon setup.

I like the Icon kit as it is the cheaper option and I have their suspension on a 4runner and am very impressed with it. I just cant find anyone that is running their setup on an excursion. I spoke with Icon about the kit and was not impressed with the individuals lack of knowledge with the suspension though.

I really want the Carli suspension as it has the ability to run the long travel airbags, but that is a lot of $$$ without seeing any videos of the suspension in action or reviews.

Tried searching the forums to see if I could find any reviews, but didn't come up with anything. So if anyone on here has either the ICON or Carli suspension I am interested in your thoughts on them and what you like and don't like.

·
Administrator
8,325 Posts
So the rear springs are the same from 99-07. So you can see their videos on the carli trucks. You can run long travel bags on anything. Carli has a full spring setup for 99-04 trucks but it’s $5k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the rear springs are the same from 99-07. So you can see their videos on the carli trucks. You can run long travel bags on anything. Carli has a full spring setup for 99-04 trucks but it’s $5k.
Where did you get the information that the excursion and the F250/350 share the same rear springs? Part numbers from carli are different and was told the spring rates were different due to the 44gal tank on the excursion being behind the rear axle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After researching for the last month trying to decide on a lift, I went ahead and placed my order today for the Carli kit hopefully it lives up to my expectations. Will be posting a review on the kit so future people can find some information on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the Carli kit installed and I don't recommend doing it by yourself in your garage. New springs are pretty heavy to be muscling around by yourself. Overall I was impressed with the quality of the components, but less impressed with the instructions as I got some that were not for the correct part.

The ride is definitely improved over the stock suspension, it was not as big of a difference as I found when I installed the icon kit on my 4runner though. On the road it feels bouncy, but that's probably because I was riding on the bumpstops with the stock suspension. Offroad on gravel roads with potholes is where I am the happiest as before I was slowing down to a crawl to go through these, but now I am able to maintain 35-40mph without bottoming out.

Stock:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Looks pretty good!! Did it keep the same nose attitude as the stock suspension? How many inches lift was it and, if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks pretty good!! Did it keep the same nose attitude as the stock suspension? How many inches lift was it and, if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost?
The lift leveled the excursion and it is a 4 1/2" lift. Cost was $6,950, but has since increased. What they don't tell you though is that you will also need a new double cardan driveline as you will have driveline vibrations.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
dang!!!
Thanks for sharing, that's a big chunk of $$$$ for springs and shocks? What else is included?

·
Administrator
8,325 Posts
The carli kit comes with a front and back deaver springs and I believe king shocks so...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dang!!!
Thanks for sharing, that's a big chunk of $$$$ for springs and shocks? What else is included?
-Deaver springs front/Rear
-King 2.5" remote reservoir shocks
-braided brakelines front/rear
-bumpstop drops front/rear
-trackbar drop
-swaybar endlinks
-drop pitman arm
- new upper shock mount for rear shocks
-ubolts
-rear ubolt plate

$5678 of it is just the springs and shocks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
-Deaver springs front/Rear
-King 2.5" remote reservoir shocks
-braided brakelines front/rear
-bumpstop drops front/rear
-trackbar drop
-swaybar endlinks
-drop pitman arm
- new upper shock mount for rear shocks
-ubolts
-rear ubolt plate

$5678 of it is just the springs and shocks.
Can you provide any feedback post 2.5 years? Are you happy with the end results? Was it worth the $$$ and effort? Asking as I have a '02 Ford Excursion and I am considering the Carli Suspension/Lift kit. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts