Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 35's now and am debating on weeather to go to 37's here soon i know they will look better with the 6" lift but i dont want to sacrifice alot of performance/mpg. so just looking for guys opinions/experiences with 37's and 3.73's truck has a TW chip

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope no towing

·
Registered
528 Posts
I run 37's now with 3.73's. I towed my 8500# (dry) travel trailer and it did fine but doesn't like OD with Wyoming wind. It shifts at different RPM's so you'd want to up the RPM shift point if you can. I'm going to 4.30's but then again, I'm also going with a 40" tire.

BTW, with this setup, I got 21mpg from Salt Lake to Cheyenne with the wind at my back. That was on a DP tuner F5 80 Econo tune too. Screw any doubters.

Dave

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thats what I'm running....no complaints but i never drove it with stock tires either. I havn't had any problems with towing either.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
I can say that I have wondered the same thing.Got a 6in and like lighting the tires up when I want.Tried out a set of my buddys 38's and it isn't as bad as I thought.I can feel it a little but nothing likt I thought.But thats with 16in rims.Not sure how it would be with say heavier 20's .Its definentlty not as fast but still moves along no problem.Not like 7.3's are speed demons anyway without some money.I would love to try out some stock tires and see how it is.Never ran them with a chip,only stock.Had 35's before it had a chip.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
I ran 36" tires and 3.73's for a few years while living in South Carolina. Didn't tow a whole lot then, and the truck was fine as a daily driver. Bottom end was a little sluggish even with a chip, but I didn't have too many complaints.

Moved to Colorado with that setup, and couldn't stand how it drove. Altitude made a big difference, and I went with 4:30's shortly afterward.

In short, depending on where you live and what you use your truck for, you may or may not like how the truck drives. Get the tires if you like them, but be prepared at a later date to swap gears if you don't like the performance of your truck, or if plans change and you start towing more often.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am ran 38s with 3.73 it is nice on the highway to cruise at low rpms. I have a 6speed have to do a little more shifting in town and stop and go traffic but it pulls them fine. You could always add injectors later if you need for power.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Off the line is a little slower and it's an increased load on the motor and trans, any weakness in the trans will show up quicker. But highway is fine, town driving would prolly get way less mileage.

I plan on just adding some power to make up the difference

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
ran it for a long time, and im now on 38s with 3.73s with no real complaints. Its awsome on the freeway. And i agree with layson, best way to find out if its for you is just try and see if you like it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My buddy ran 41" iroks with stock 3.73 gears in his 02 CCLB 7.3L and it ran great. I have 37" km2 on order so i think ill be fine. If not, ill just put 4.10s in the axles.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
My buddy ran 41" iroks with stock 3.73 gears in his 02 CCLB 7.3L and it ran great. I have 37" km2 on order so i think ill be fine. If not, ill just put 4.10s in the axles.
That was my plan, but i dont tow a lot and i didnt end up feeling i needed to change gears.

·
West Bound and Down
1,115 Posts
I'm running 37s with 3.73s, but I don't tow much. I want to go to 38s, but I think I'd rather take the money it would cost to re-gear, and put it towards performance mods. If I can increase the HP 75+, I figure that will balance out the low gearing and make it a helluva lot more fun. :D:shrug:

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
See I didn't notice a differense in the low end just once I hit drive it bogs down more and doesn't pull as hard.The adrenaline seemed to add a big difference to the bottom end though so maybe thats why.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm prob going to run 37's or 38's but only run them when i am going offroading ETC. Prob just run the stock tires for daily driving. (on 3.73's).

·
your mom
211 Posts
i ran 38s for a while on 3.73 loved it cruzing on the highway was great and i would ball up i-70 at 65 70 trough the hills with a bumper pull and 8k on it. but also thats runing it on a insanity tune and a heavy foot

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
i ran 38s for a while on 3.73 loved it cruzing on the highway was great and i would ball up i-70 at 65 70 trough the hills with a bumper pull and 8k on it. but also thats runing it on a insanity tune and a heavy foot
Not being rude but...

so i did some major damage this time warped heads warped block . melted/cut piston. so i machined my heads .10 and there straight but the block i ended up cuting the deck .20 . is it runable how much can i cut off the top of my piston alread have bowl work done now im wondering if im gonna have problems with the piston smacking the head if i dont cut it down. can any one help. some one know whats the max i can cut of the deck and the heads and the pistons. how far can i push it. :evil
LOL I think they're related! :poke:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts