Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do anyone on here collect and sell scrap? I need some sort of job for the summer, and I came across this since friend of mine works at a scrap yard that buys. Initially, I just wanted to find cheap or free cars, appliances, lawnmowers, etc. to break down and sell. In my search, I found some government auctions of 10,000+ lbs of scrap. I have access to 2 diesel trucks, a smaller 16 ft trailer and a larger gooseneck. I have even considered renting or buying an open top container to keep on the gooseneck. Does anyone have any experience or reccomendations on either idea?

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
its worth scrappin up here,prices are back up to around 200 a ton for cars.short steel brings the most so i cut everything i can to 3ft and strip it clean,one day i took 3 loads of short steel and made almost 1500 bucks.i only use the trailer for cars,when i have short steel i just load the truck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Prices here are $200-$240 ton on cars/shreddable steel. While i don't do alot of scrappin, when prices are up like they are now, i always keep my eye open for free/cheap steel. What little i do still brings me an extra 1000/mo or more for a couple hours of work.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
We're not really in the business, but on our farm, we had some free time and cleaned up some stuff. I think we have carried off over $5000 worth of stuff. Anything metal that we dont use anymore, we just cut it up and carry it off. Its good money.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Haha to many for lack of better terms "bums" around here. Everyone that lives off uncle sam and doesn't have a job scraps here. Some times I see them hauling crap to the yard thats nicer than what they are driving.

Last time I went to the yard it was almost $8.00 per 100

1 - 5 of 5 Posts