Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
A guy on TDS had the same symptoms, ended up he had an intermittent ground where the thermocouple wire had chaffed.
A thermocouple is a really simple device. It's a pair of dissimilar wires connected (ususally twisted together & soldered) at one end. They produce a very small current when the connection area is heated. The pyrometer gauge is calibrated to amplify the electrical current to a level high enough to move the needle the correct amount.

·
A Ghost these days.
1,017 Posts
Call Autometer they will probably send you a new probe. I had issues with mine not reading correctly and they sent me a new design and it fixed the problem. I believe it was some sort of ground issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i too am having issues with my autometer pyro the needle sticks,then i thump the face of the gauge and it reads:confused:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for a while thumping the gauge on the face would work, then that stopped working too. i ended up taking the gauge and thermocouple out and replacing it with some older stuff. i believe it is a bad thermocouple. i will call autometer tommorrow and see what they say.

and for those who are wondering, i unplugged the autometer gauge and ran the autometer thermocouple to a diprocol. it would not read. when i put in the thermocouple from the diprocol gauge, the diprocol gauge worked, so i stuck it in there instead.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Are they lifetime warranty? Mine died and I replaced with something else but would be nice to have the Autometer replaced to I could sell it. I have the bad gauge still sitting on the bench. I was going to disect it and try to see what went wrong. Same symptoms.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nope ! But my autometer tanny temp gauge doesn`t work. Never has !

·
Go Away I'm Baitin
1,142 Posts
my guage is going corkey now
turn the fan on high it reads 0
turn it too low and it works
hit the window down button and it jumps all around

·
Registered
346 Posts
my Autometer Pyro is just slow..after seeing some vids... it should respond pretty fast... .it doesnt...

Chase

·
A Ghost these days.
1,017 Posts
They must have a bunch of probe issues. Ryan your truck is just cold and pissed @ you. ;)

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
weird, i had the exact opposite reaction. i started off with diprocol tst's, and when i put the autometer gauge in i thought the tst was slow. now that its back in it seems alot slower than the autometer ever was, but this might have somethig to do with the fact that autometer was an electric gauge and the tst's i have are mechanical

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting, mine are DiPricol Optix. I am glad your gauge works well.
thats the thing, i dont know which one is working correctly. the autometer wa fast, the tst was slow, and both were reading different numbers :shrug:
either way the autometer is shot

·
Registered
346 Posts
You don't have enough fuel to make any heat.............:D
Yeah, I am sure part of that problem is the leaking of fuel into the coolant, instead of the cylinders....

Soon though....:D

Chase

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My autometer carbon fiber series is starting to act up as well. Its like it sticks as it goes up. It is not very smooth like it use to be. I am thinking it is the gauge because if a tap it it jumps to where it should be.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts