Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about going to a 19.5" on my dually. wondered what was out there for them. i have a 2000 dually. any thoughts or ideas please let me know.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I want to do the same thing when the funds alow! Looks nicer, and a bigger longer lasting tires are available!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
you can get some used or refurbished ones at some semi shops

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
thanks jared!! after looking at the cost.....geez... thats a better idea.
ya it is some money but if you get the right tire it should last for a very long time which will save you alot of money on rubbers:D

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Where can we look for refurbished wheels.
I was thinking about getting some black steel one's, or even finding some nice "simulators"

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
you can find them on ebay..but also..I would take this into consideration first before buying refurbished wheels.

First thing would be how hard they were beat on in their previous life..such as overloaded, run on a flat..etc etc..when theses wheels reach extreme temps they have tendency to crack..(very small cracks) these crack may not be found before you buy them...over time..a small crack becomes larger..and you can kinda figure it out from there..

If you are just wanting something simple..you would be better off to just buy new..they are not ridiculously expensive. As long as you aren't trying to go custom IE rickson,brentz..

you can find these wheels at an local truck shop, peterbuilt,kenworth etc,etc..

I wouldn't buy refurbished wheels..thats just me..kinda like not buying a re-treaded tire..cheaper in the beginning but it will cost a #### load when you have a blow out from a retread coming apart and ripping you rear fender off.

·
WHAT???
1,833 Posts
sence this is a dually wheel thread i'd like some advise as well. i've got a 99 450 with an aluminum flat bed, right now its got stock black steel 19.5's on it, what do ya'll think would look the best on it. the truck is red with smoked cab lights, 05 xl grille, black head lights, cowl hood, and tinted windows. i like the black wheels but maybe a little different style. just throwing that out there

·
Registered
646 Posts
Be Very Careful when buying and "Big Rig" wheels/tire for your truck, not to bash any types of vehicles out there but seriously the only front end that will sustain the diameter & rolling weight of those wheels are the ford F-250 and up front ends, everything else will fall to pieces (tie rods, track bars ball joints ect.) I have seen this first hand guys!!! You can get around this however if you religiously balance your tires & re-balance them +/- every 15,000 km ( Highway). You would also be suprised at how long those tires don't last on your lighter truck. When these tires are run on a semi they have slow acceleration and braking along with reduced speeds +/- 100 km/hr. This is what these tires are designed for not stop & go & speeding... they will not last. This is just my 2 c and you all don't have to take my word for it but i am tring to help out.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
That's why I'm not interested in the 22.5", seems a little big for me and I'd probably have to lift my truck. I would like the 19.5", because I drive mostly highway slow acceleration and stopping alot of the time. I also think they would look a hell of a lot better on my truck. now I just need to find a good price.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Be Very Careful when buying and "Big Rig" wheels/tire for your truck, not to bash any types of vehicles out there but seriously the only front end that will sustain the diameter & rolling weight of those wheels are the ford F-250 and up front ends, everything else will fall to pieces (tie rods, track bars ball joints ect.) I have seen this first hand guys!!! You can get around this however if you religiously balance your tires & re-balance them +/- every 15,000 km ( Highway). You would also be suprised at how long those tires don't last on your lighter truck. When these tires are run on a semi they have slow acceleration and braking along with reduced speeds +/- 100 km/hr. This is what these tires are designed for not stop & go & speeding... they will not last. This is just my 2 c and you all don't have to take my word for it but i am trying to help out.

well..you are partially correct..the front ends of our trucks fall apart with stock tires and wheels..so thats nothing new..yes there is more rolling mass and unsprung weight..but still.

I will agree with you on the tire wear..when I first got my 22's I was only worried about ride quality..so I went with Michilien* I got a long haul tire(pretty much a drive line) very little tread not aggressive at all..but it still pulled nice if I needed to lock it in. But I didn't keep up on my alignment..tires started to cup..and it didn't take long after that..my ball joints and tierods were out..but like I said..that happens on any of our ferds.

I got approx. 65k miles on the first set. I probably would have replaced the stockers 2 times by then..

the only thing that sux is that you cant really just rotate the fronts to the back..they have to be broken down off the rim and moved to the back..then rebalanced..its gets rather expensive..$10 up and $10 down plus 22.50 per tire for balancing times that by four..thats what you got when you need to rotate..but if that is kept up..you shouldn't have any problems..I didn't do that on my first set.

I didn't align it..or rotate them front to back..I also was doing burn outs all the time and figured what the hell..I will get 100K out of them..WRONG..like I said above..I got a long haul tire..that was a mistake..they are made for exactly that..long hauls..not a HIGH SCRUB application..such as in town driving. Thats what I have now..XRV's that are made for high scrub applications and as long as I keep up on my alignments, rotations and keep my balljoints greased I will get 100k or over. Also a lot less burn outs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well put. We don't use the Long haul tire in Canada too much gravel, snow & ice, But yeah i don't doubt that the long haul will make 100k as that is what they are made for. And your getting a better deal than we are on your dismounts & re-mounts. We are paying +/- 400 for the job @ cost!!!. Keep em balance & you will do fine. Or don't & put up with ####ty wobbles,wiggles & noise and eventually a complete front end!!!

·
<----Colin Banks
3,001 Posts
Hey Mike, I know this might be a long shot, but you know we get 25% off at Sunrise. Might want to call over there and see what they would cost or if they have any take offs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh yeah i run 41 super swamper radials on 20s all the time mostly offroad, Oilpatch roads and have NEVER needed a single front end piece other than nuemerous driveshafts, on any of my last 3 superdutys all over 140k and i check them regularily in my shop when i am bored. I have fixed more of the other companies front ends with 1/4 of the km's than i am willing to admit to. Bottom line here Ferd has the stoughtest front end if stoughtest is a word!! HAHAHA.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you get "Refurbished" from a big truck shop, you would have to run the 10 lug adapters, right? I like the Ricksons, and American Force wheels best, since they are Direct bolt on.
Seems safer, easier to keep balanced, ect...

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
That's the biggest reason I wanted to go with the 19.5's, they are direct bolt ons!

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
are people still scared of adapters?

I just looked at rickson's website..OMG they are expensive..thats insane..

you can save a good bit of money by buying the adapters and a standard 19.5" wheel. I have no idea what 19 sells for but I only paid 250 per wheel for my 22.5" so i am guessing they are a bit cheaper..550 per wheel from rickson is completely insane. The adapters can be gotten for 820 bucks shipped.

did i mention the price was insane?:doh:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts