Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2 oil changes on my "new" truck. I run rotella 15w40 in it, mileage went down. replaced both fuel filters twice now. cleaned the air filter and my fuel mileage went from 18.7 to 16.4. I'm not sure what oil the original owner was running in it. I have thought about the synthetics but the 5w40 is,IMO, to thin to use here in AZ during the summer moths when its like 117 outside. I'm also having an injector stiction issue since changing the oil. Anybody else have any similar issues?

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody? So no one has experienced this issue? I'm the only person with a six leaker that has had this happen? Somebody?

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
So I have 2 oil changes on my "new" truck. I run rotella 15w40 in it, mileage went down. replaced both fuel filters twice now. cleaned the air filter and my fuel mileage went from 18.7 to 16.4. I'm not sure what oil the original owner was running in it. I have thought about the synthetics but the 5w40 is,IMO, to thin to use here in AZ during the summer moths when its like 117 outside. I'm also having an injector stiction issue since changing the oil. Anybody else have any similar issues?
How is 5w40 too thin? It is a 40 weight at operating temp...with a Kinematic Viscosity of 14.2 mm2/s vs 15.5 for 15w40...not a huge difference and both in the 40 weight range.

I have heard of conventional oil contributing to stiction but I don't own a 6.0 and therefore lack first hand experience. Where are you in AZ? Did they change over to winter fuel?

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
South of phoenix. I dont think that they change to a winter blend. Although I have noticed that the one truck stop that I was buying fuel at now has a B5(bio 5%) sticker on the pumps. I only filled up there once since then and have switched to another truck stop. Perhaps I just need to bite the proverbial bullet and switch to synthetic oil.

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
Valvoline blue (con) or Valvoline Extreme Blue (syn) are some of the recommended oils for our trucks. I use the Extreme Blue. Makes my truck run quieter and overall better than when I was running the Rotella. If your having sticking issues, go to venders alley and post there that your looking for some Rev X. The sponsors will PM you prices. I get my Rev X from Mike's Diesel Performance. As to the B5 at the pumps, I know when I ran Bio fuel, my mileage increase slightly, probably due to the lubrication effects of the bio. I also know that Not all fuel is the same as I get better mileage from Shell Diesel as opposed to Meijer or BP but those are the only three I use around here.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Was your driving area the same ie city vs highway.
Winter blend etc..

·
Registered
98 Posts
my 6.0 did not like rotella either it suds to much i started running kendal and will never go back it is great in my 6.0 so i put it in my 6.4 as well i am an amsoil dealer but cant bring my self to spend the money on my 6.0 with 250k on the clock . the kendal is 15.99 i think at all pilot truck stops (in ohio anyhow) and is semi synthetic blend so far so good

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drive the same route to and from work and into town. I have decided to switch to syn(ouch$$$) at the next oil change. I talked to a friend who has an 05 6l and he had to have ford do a reflash for cold weather starting. I'm gonna call tomorrow am and check into the reflash. I have not been back to try the bio yet. I will look into the revx. Thanks.

·
Dino
66 Posts
Valvoline blue (con) or Valvoline Extreme Blue (syn) are some of the recommended oils for our trucks. I use the Extreme Blue. Makes my truck run quieter and overall better than when I was running the Rotella. If your having sticking issues, go to venders alley and post there that your looking for some Rev X. The sponsors will PM you prices. I get my Rev X from Mike's Diesel Performance. As to the B5 at the pumps, I know when I ran Bio fuel, my mileage increase slightly, probably due to the lubrication effects of the bio. I also know that Not all fuel is the same as I get better mileage from Shell Diesel as opposed to Meijer or BP but those are the only three I use around here.
I dont know about the Rev x.....but I run 5-40 Valvoline Ext. Blue all year long. Huge diff. in how the Eng fires up in the morn. I agree with the above as so far as oil goes. I run # 2 on road and add a pint of Marvel Msytery oil or Atf at each fill up To help with running the dry fuel....Dino Sorry to answer the question ....no mileage change for me ...15 MPG.....

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its not stiction or from running oil that's too thick. Turns out my ficm was dying! Resoldered it and what a huge difference! I'm still gonna change over to synthetic oil at next OC.

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
I use rotella 15 40 because we drive the trucks so much and its cost effective + we can get it almost anywhere. Haven't had any issues with it and this is the 3rd psd we have run it on w/ 0 oil related issues

And the trucks all have over 230k for the record

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. The construction company I worked at had over 1200 pieces of equipment, mostly cat, and that's all we used. I will stick with the rotella and just use their synthetic T6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts