Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new job driving trucks and the company only has Cacadias, most from 2012 to 2014. Anything I need to know about them? They are all 10 speeds and I've taken CDL school so they taught us how to drive a 10 speed but anything else I need to know? Are they good trucks?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a follow up. After a month with a trainer in a brand new 2017 Cascadia automatic, they stuck me in a 2013 model with a 10 speed.

With less than 10,000lbs in the trailer, it does pretty good. Between 10 and 20K and you can feel it, but its not bad. Between 20k and 30K it starts to get sluggish going up hills. Over 30k and under 45K (the most I can carry without being over 80k gross) it's a slug. It doesn't accelerate at all, it just makes enough noise that I think the cars behind me push me up to speed eventually. The 0-60 fully loaded is measured in minutes. Not seconds.

·
Administrator
8,346 Posts
nature of the beast. small engine with highway gears. be careful starting out on hills. they put very light rears in them, and it is very easy to break parts.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
My buddy told me his dad had his turbo taken away once because he was cought speeding too many times. Is that a real thing? Will they actually pull your turbo for speeding? I would have thought as long as you don't wreck they could give a #### how fast you go. Especially since it's there just that much faster right?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I hope you're kidding. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,346 Posts
My buddy told me his dad had his turbo taken away once because he was cought speeding too many times. Is that a real thing? Will they actually pull your turbo for speeding? I would have thought as long as you don't wreck they could give a #### how fast you go. Especially since it's there just that much faster right?
he was pulling your leg. you can not remove a turbo from a diesel without doing damage to the engine.
and with the new computerized engines, they will not go over idle without a reading from the map sensor. no turbo= no boost= no map reading.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The turbo doesn't make you go fast, it makes you go period. Without the turbo it won't pull at all.

And yes they definitely care how fast you go. There is a computer in the vehicle tracking your every move. Brake too hard, critical event reported to the home office safety department. Same with a sudden lane change, hard deceleration, anything like that. Excessive overspeed will also cause it, but they speed limit us to 68mph so we only get over that going down a slope. All company owned trucks are speed limited. JB Hunt and Swift are the slowest, at like 62. We are one of the fastest at 68. Owner operators remove the speed limiter from their trucks so they'll pass us doing 75-80. 18 wheelers aren't going slow because they are wide open, they go slow because the computer won't let us go any faster. The engine isn't wide open, it's just electronically restricted.

If a critical event is reported, the video is automatically uploaded to the home office as we have both forward facing and driver facing cameras in the trucks. I had a driver not merge onto the interstate properly and almost ran into me broadside. I slammed on the brakes and within an hour I had a message to call the home office safety department. When I did he said I viewed the video and I'd like to discuss it. Now understand I was 600 miles from our home office at the time.

One nice thing our entire fleet has is ACC, or adaptive cruise control. It sends out a radar signal all the time and when it detects a vehicle in front, it will tell you the distance to that vehicle and also their speed. If they are going slower than what you have the cruise set at, it will automatically keep about 350 foot spacing at 65mph. If they slow down, the truck will slow down, if they speed up, it will speed up up to the max speed of 68. The only issue is that it's not foolproof. It can occasionally pick up things that it thinks are vehicles that aren't, like overpasses, bridges, etc. Since these items aren't moving it thinks a car has come to a complete stop in front of you and momentarily will slam on the brakes. It hasn't happened to me but twice in 2 months, but it surely wakes you up when it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts