Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently am running a 1.15 housing and has been ok for everyday driving(a little laggy). But i just hauled a 5th wheel 20,000lbs. gross up to dodgeville wis and i incured some surge and had a hard time accelerating below 2000+/- rpms. so i was wondering if choking my housing down to a 1.0 will help with my lag. any input is appreciated.

·
Caution! May Blow Smoke
270 Posts
I don't think its your 1.15 housing giving you a problem. I pull 24-25000 lbs alot and I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much lag do u see with ur 6 speed? i see that u have 4.10 gears makes me think that would help some when towing

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
Ill trade ya housings...

·
Wheelie Dude
2,126 Posts
When its laggy are you getting alot of smoke? If its smoke free you may have a fuel pressure issue. You should not get any surge out of a 1:15 housing, only reason I could see you surging with that housing is lack of fuel. If it surges now a 1.0 will only make it worse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah there is smoke on the low end - depends on which tune. This is the first time that i have gotten this turbo to surge(had turbo about 7 months, inj. about 5 months). i think getting new tunes for it will help because my tow tune from swamps is very low on power(acelerating is very slow process). but even when i am unloaded if i shift easy into any gear then hit the pedal even in the drag tune it seems it takes about 3 to 4 seconds+/- for the turbo to lit. i know that there will be some lag but the 38r in my mind is not a large turbo and i would think spool up would be quicker than that. For towing purposes i feel i should have better response with this turbo and that is why i was wondering if the 1.0 housing would have better response and minimal surge.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I have the 1.00 housing on my 38r but keep in mind I have ported heads.

I have never ran the 1.15

Get new tunes and see what happens. I know when i ran the swamps tunes for a little while with my setup the turbo was laggy and smokey in some of the settings and I could get it to surge.

Not bad mouthing swamps at all but I like Matt's tunes better for DD/Towing, Little smoke and no turbo lag or surge.

The swamps tunes once the turbo lite felt more powerful though and I liked em but just not for DD/Towing.

So get some different tunes and i think that will fix your issue

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am having same issue with stock inj. all smoke now power? lot of turbo whistle it is all u can hear when towin?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think its your tuning as I also have a 38r with the 1.15 housing and I am really happy with it towing or DD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts