Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new heat pump and 1/2 of the contractors recommend 2 ton and the other 1/2 say 2.5 ton. The condo originally came with 1.5ton.
I get lots of sun and the cooling is ok, not great.

·
LILStroker
11 Posts
1/2 ton of air isnt really gonna hurt you any. If you have a lpt of sun exposure as well as a lot of windows facing west most contractors will oversize a little to make up the loss.

·
Registered
284 Posts
IIRC they size the unit according to your cooling needs. I have a Bard 2 ton unit and it heats and cools about 1700 sq ft of living space and does a great job

·
<-Friends bike
1,125 Posts
I am getting a new heat pump and 1/2 of the contractors recommend 2 ton and the other 1/2 say 2.5 ton. The condo originally came with 1.5ton.
I get lots of sun and the cooling is ok, not great.
I would go with the latter .. I have 2300 sq ft in MI with a 2 ton .. it should have been a 3 ...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ive got 2.5 for my 2400 SQ FT home in So Cal, and it keeps the house steady at 77 in 110 degree weather. Keeps the energy bill managable.

Neighbors keep there similar home at 71 with no issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am a professional in the HVAC field... Without doing a complete heat load/loss calculation of the living space, a good rule of thumb is to deliver 1 cfm per square foot of space... A ton of cooling is usually setup for delivery of 400 cfm... So if you have a 2000 square foot house you should be delivering 2000 cfm... This would be equal to 5 tons of cooling... Usually a 2000 square foot house would have more than one unit... or sometimes 1 large one.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Heartbroke, interesting advice. Good to know!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Heartbroke, interesting advice. Good to know!
Yeah that rule of thumb is pretty reliable in most cases... For instance, your 2400 sq foot home is only able to keep temps at 77 deg. With your 2.5 ton system... If you had 6 tons of cooling you would be able to maintain 70 degrees with better efficiency... And your ac wouldn't run around the clock... Which would also save you in maintenance costs for the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts