Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 962 Posts

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning/Afternoon!
So my brother (the master plumber that he is) put the idea in my head that i could install a drop-in bathtub in my master bath all by myself! :eek: lol, well it looks like the hardest part is relocating the drain & water supply if needed...otherwise it's just a matter of tearing out the old stuff and framing for the new drop-in, right?

Anybody done this themselves on here????????????? just looking for some pointers!

here's some random internet pics that i'm gonna put here for my own future reference:

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I found with these sort of things that YouTube is your best friend.

I'm getting set up for a whole bathroom remodel for next year and my biggest fear is the tub.

That is besides the cost.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha! the cost is why I've redirected my efforts towards DIY :p so, hopefully this thread will benefit you & me both!

either way, in a few months i should be starting all this... I'll be sure & take pics & document real well if you think it might help you out as well!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I am not going to go with a drop in but a free standing tub. I have watched a couple of the videos on YouTube and the drain shouldn't be that much of a problem other than me having to work on it while in a crawl space but there is enough room down there for me to sit up in it while working.

I am getting adventuress enough that I am also going to move a sink and toilet at the same time, so I'll be spending a good deal of time down in that crawl space with the spiders and bugs.

I was going to do it last year but my trip to Africa got in the way and then this year my lady friend decided that I needed to give her a hand with the new Explorer. So I am slowly gathering parts to do it next summer. That way all the big costly things don't hit all at once.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd LOVE to go with a freestanding one! but i swear i can't find one that will fit where I need it, that I will fit in comfortably lol, and that isn't a dang thousand + dollars!!!

lol, i'm thinking that I can build a frame for a slightly oversized drop-in right between the walls I've got, all while building in an access panel for the plumbing ... i'm not sure what/where i'll settle at haha!

Are you in a pier/beam? i'll have to bust some concrete most likely to get that drain where i want it... unless i raise the whole unit up high enough so that i can plump to it lol!

·
Administrator
8,253 Posts
Angle grinder with a diamond blade. Then cut the concrete into checker board squares. Take a cold chisel and start knocking out the squares. It will take a little bit but it will only cost you a few dollars. Or just go rent a demo saw with a diamond blade for under $100.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that would work just fine, i need a better angle grinder anyway. the cheap HF one i have has paid for itself now & deserves it's viking funeral... besides i hate it, it sucks!

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Sounds like everyone is up for a bathroom remodel. The missus informed me a couple weeks ago that she wants a remodel. We have one of those huge jetted tubs that has been used once in 2+ years, so it's going bye bye in favor of a big shower. She isn't a bath person, and our shower now is tiny. I told her I wanted to diy it all, but even after a full remodel of our old house, all the furniture I've built for us and family, she still doesn't have faith and wants to quote it out professionally. I wouldn't even have to move plumbing or electrical in there!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The big advantage the contracting it out has is that they should have it done in a week or less. Where if you do it yourself you need to figure a month unless you can work on it a week straight.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Being in lawncare, for the most part my winters are free. So techically I could work on it everyday.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Being able to say "well if you want it that way then you pay for it" and not have the expense fall on me anyway makes me want to run out right out and get married.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ok, guilty. I have done quite a few of these puppies and they are super simple. Framing and plumbing are obstacles, but they are simple with the right information. Best advice I can offer to start is get the tub first! Stub the plumbing up in an accessible spot (even if you drywall over it, don't bury it in the wall behind the tub for those "just in case" scenarios), and locate a drain kit, preferably 1 1/2" in size that uses the rubber gasket as a seal so you can just "drop" the tub on to it with the tail piece for the drain already attached. Home fleapo sells a fitting that is basically like a fernco compression donut built into a pvc fitting... that thing is magic..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Never framed a tub for anything but I did once frame the neighbor kid for screwing a stray cat.

Turd??

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i wonder how tall of a tub would make sense to get...

...and i wonder how big a deal it will be to upgrade from a 40gal to 50gal water heater....

cause my ass may be fat, but still take some water to fill up one a dem bigass tubs

1 - 20 of 962 Posts