Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in after a long day/night in the hayfield. Got a few hundred acres of winter rye grass that's already laid over.

The 2 JD 4890's (895 power reverser platform) left the shop for the hay field for the first time this year!

Anyone else cuttin anything? What rigs do y'all use?

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I don't hay any more or winter cows for that matter, but I've a couple cutting last week but now this rain is really hammering us. The ones who burnt are loving it though.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Just fertilized a few weeks ago,now its been pourin down rain for the last few days and supposed to rain the next few days too.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Well we will not be in the field haying for about 3 MONTH yet:D grass grows slow in Montana. We yous a Hesstan 6650 swather. and a mx100 case tractor, and a new holland 664 baller.

·
Banned
345 Posts
It will be about another 15 days before we begin cutting hay this way (Central WI). Alfalfa is about 4-7" varying where you go. Rye is about 6" tall at the moment. We are currently getting a badly needed rain. As of yesterday @ 4:30 we had .6" of precip. It has rained all night. I have not checked lately. We can use 2" easy here. This rain will make things grow now.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fields down here are in great shape. I can only cut at about 2mph everythings so thick and matted up

·
Non Helpful Member
818 Posts
We won't start cutting till june 1. I just fertilized last week . I will start to plant about 250 acr of new alfalfa next week. I'm thinking I will have the pivots on next week if we don't get any more rain.
Our hay equipment is 4995 with a 995 and a new r450 with a 995 head. allen hay rakes. A krone bp 1290 3x4 pulled by a 8345r and all hay is pick up by the .Mil-Stak PT/2010 Pull Type Wagon with the 8100 that pulls that.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We won't start cutting till june 1. I just fertilized last week . I will start to plant about 250 acr of new alfalfa next week. I'm thinking I will have the pivots on next week if we don't get any more rain.
Our hay equipment is 4995 with a 995 and a new r450 with a 995 head. allen hay rakes. A krone bp 1290 3x4 pulled by a 8345r and all hay is pick up by the .Mil-Stak PT/2010 Pull Type Wagon with the 8100 that pulls that.
How you like the 995 header? How many acres you get a day? If the hays not extremley thick I can get about 50 acres a day cut down. We cut alot of coastal, tifton, and jigs down here. 895 works best.

Got 2 4890's and 2 setups like you see in my avatar..

·
Registered
699 Posts
We just fertilized here last week. Haven't even turned the water on to the ditches yet, probably next week. It's been so dry here all winter that we may not be able to have the ditches on long if they put a call on the river. Stuff just started greening up a little bit ago.

·
It$ only money
763 Posts
going to start cutting 2nd week of may. my new alfalfa is 3 weeks old, up abotu an inch. got all my corn done firday and in the ground, so now with the beans.... well start droppin once the beans are done planted....

run a 4450 and a 14ft 936 moco diskbine..... next year im going SP... had a really bad incident 2 years ago that almost killed me so im ready to get behind the mower, not beside it!

·
Non Helpful Member
818 Posts
How you like the 995 header? How many acres you get a day? If the hays not extremley thick I can get about 50 acres a day cut down. We cut alot of coastal, tifton, and jigs down here. 895 works best.

Got 2 4890's and 2 setups like you see in my avatar..
Last year in 2 ton to the acr alfalfa I could do 150 acr in a day that doing 6.5 to 7.5 mph. Grass hay we do about 125 a day per machine.

I like the 995 head I have the v10 rollers and used the jd18% tilt blades it cuts just as clean as a sickel machine

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
We actually have all our winter rye mowed, chopped and in the harvestore. About 80 acres I guess. Some fields didn't do all that well. We always combine rye and plant the seed. Is this a good idea year after year? We mow with a Hesston Agco 3312 center pivot discbine with the Magnum 7220.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We won't cut till the end of may or first of june. We are on about the same schedule as deerezilla. Going to plant some oats/alfalfa in the next few days between rain storms.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I'll be in the field mowing in about three to four weeks. Deere 4895 swather, Deere 100 baler, Deere 348 baler, Vermeer tedder, in the market for a new rake....

I'll make all 100 acres that I still hay while taking my time with that equipment. :D Yes that is all the hay that I currently make...... long story but the equipment has paid for itself and I don't feel like downgrading equipment now that I no longer have time to make as much hay as I once did.

·
Banned
345 Posts
We actually have all our winter rye mowed, chopped and in the harvestore. About 80 acres I guess. Some fields didn't do all that well. We always combine rye and plant the seed. Is this a good idea year after year? We mow with a Hesston Agco 3312 center pivot discbine with the Magnum 7220.
As far as the rye goes, you should always replace about 20% or better with certified seed. Otherwise, you will continually see a downtrend in yield and performance.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't own anything but my gf mom and dad do. Lat week we started hauling out cow crap and spreading it.Fun Fun he has a bunch of old 50's farmalls he has two he uses rest are for show i got to use his supper M to spread it. They use the same stuff to cut and bail square bails and round. they have about 60 head of feeder cattle.

·
get busy livin
191 Posts
i wont be cutting my oats alfalfa and triticalee for about two or three weeks everything is ready to start but the ground is way to wet and we are supposed to get an 1'' of rain in the next 24 hours.

New Holland 1119 cuts it
Jd 2640 and NH 216 unitized rakes it
JD 2640 and pto NH 505 bale's it
NH 1075 self propelled stacks it

·
I Like Red Cows
364 Posts
We are just starting to get into planting corn! haha The rain we've been gettin has been putting everybody into a panic! Kinda funny to watch! We won't start haying till mid-may early june

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
As far as the rye goes, you should always replace about 20% or better with certified seed. Otherwise, you will continually see a downtrend in yield and performance.
Gotta wonder about tridacal. Or go with all new seed this year.

·
Twitch
1,383 Posts
Can't wait for cuttin to be in full swing. I made a chit load of money haulin it from the field to buyers and feed stores last summer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts