Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of yall avid rabbit hunters? Dogs? Seasons pretty much over with down here but just picked up another beagle the other day and got me wonderin if anyone else hunts? I now have 5 dogs. Summer, Autumn, Winter, Hutch, and now Cooper. Pretty original names huh. Summer by far has been the best dog i've ever owned. She can track down anything from rabbits to deer to pigs. Lots of work and time into that dog

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah go figure.. mine stay outside..summer gets lucky treatment when weather gets nasty outside, only cause shes earned it.

Cant turn a good dog by keepin them inside all the time

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
Dogs....nah.

Shotguns and Keystone. Yes. Used to have Jackrabbits out the wazzoo at our old hay fields.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I ws supposed to be in a tournament last weekend, but I didn't get to... We still rabbit hunt a bit. Still have about 8 beagles.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dogs....nah.

Shotguns and Keystone. Yes. Used to have Jackrabbits out the wazzoo at our old hay fields.
yes, forgot to add the backpack of keystone that comes with us on outings.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I used to go out after a good snow and scare'm out of a limb pile. Never used a dog or beer. Does getting them drunk 1st make it easier on you or the rabbits?LOL

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Love rabbit huntin,especially when theres been a good snow on the ground for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love rabbit huntin,especially when theres been a good snow on the ground for a couple of days.
we dont get any snow around here. Almost makes it impossible to hunt without dogs

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i do it for fun (no season in texas) i use a .22 and a spot light haha
me and my buddy only hunt when its cold..which is what i meant by seasons about over

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Dogs....nah.

dont forget the R&R :badidea:LOL

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahhhh makes since. i wouldnt eat them in the winter heard the meat is diff
Thats funny, i wouldnt eat them in the summer

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
The most fun way I've hunted rabbits would probably get you arrested today. One of my friends had a 46 Chevy pickup. It's headlights were on top of the fender and provided some seating support. We would cruise the country dirt roads at night with a person on each front fender armed with an automatic 22. It is surprising how hard it is to hit a hopping rabbit while bouncing around on the fender of an old truck. But it was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm an avid rabbit hunter and have bred and trained beagles. Small game is my most favorite type of hunting over deer and such. It's just something about being out with a bunch of friends and a couple dogs hunting all day. In all honesty i sometimes don't even shoot the rabbits just to get the joy out of watching the dogs chase them. I have seen rabbits pull many tricks over the years to try to get dogs off their trails. It's pretty interesting and exciting to watch.

btw i usually just use an old Mossberg 20 gauge youth model. Small and light, can carry it all day long and darn accurate. Plus i don't bust up the meat too bad it i get off a bad shot.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
The most fun way I've hunted rabbits would probably get you arrested today. One of my friends had a 46 Chevy pickup. It's headlights were on top of the fender and provided some seating support. We would cruise the country dirt roads at night with a person on each front fender armed with an automatic 22. It is surprising how hard it is to hit a hopping rabbit while bouncing around on the fender of an old truck. But it was a lot of fun.
Dammit, I have done the same thing, a lot. Leave the house about an hour after sundown, ride around in the pastures, come back with dinner for tomorrow.

And for anyone that says they would never eat a rabbit, I bet I could put it down on a plate in front of you. You could pick up a piece and set it on top of your head. Your tongue would slap both of your eyes plumb black trying to reach it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts