Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

any performance out of ats ported housing?

5K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  JAKE 
#1 ·
Is there any performance w/ the ats ported housing? I know it helps w/ surge just wondering if you gain any performance and if so how much?

Thanks

#2 ·
you will see higher boost numbers and some quicker throttle response i have one for sale if ur interested $275shipped

#7 ·
i did mine at the same time i did the banks actuator, i did notice much better spool up,and a few more psi but, that was the actuator.

p.s. its the only banks part on my truck, "Gail" does not even make it!!! "banks sucks":pointlaugh:

#12 ·
The banks big head made a difference on my stock turbo and my old D66. It spooled quicker and made more boost with it installed.

#13 ·
I don't believe any of the ads for that claims any performance enhancement other than surge elimination. How could it? Same turbo assembly for the most part. Where does the extra CFM come from? Same turbine and impeller. Where does the flow come from? Seems it would reduce flow to eliminate surge, if I am thinking about it correctly.

#15 ·
The theory that it increases flow comes from two things. One, that it has a larger intake hose, 4" versus 3" stock. However, that extra size is necessary for the bleed ring around the intake. If you look at the size of the intake inside the bleed ring, it's the same as stock. The second part of the increased flow theory is that air can flow through the bleed ring providing additional airflow. When I looked closely at mine though, I couldn't see how it could increase airflow. I'm by no means a turbo expert though. Just my observations.

It reduces surge because of the bleed ring though. The bleed rings gives the extra air a place to go, which is around the turbo wheel rather than through it and back into the intake.

I can't tell you if it helped mine or not, because I made a bunch of other changes when installed mine. I will tell you that my combo of a van turbo with ATS housing and a stock wheel has never surged on me though.

#16 ·
I can't tell you if it helped mine or not, because I made a bunch of other changes when installed mine. I will tell you that my combo of a van turbo with ATS housing and a stock wheel has never surged on me though.[/QUOTE]

that is supposed to be a good combo for the money.

#18 ·
I agree, mine would surge with the 10k mod, and even stock.1800-2000 range IIRC. An afe 2 really lets you know its happening. I put the ATS housing on, and have since had the edge evo and dp, i havent been able to surge it yet, and have had it on for atleast a year which equates to 30-40k miles, always loaded to atleast 8700, and towed upto a gross of 23k. It just cant be surged, I bet CSI couldnt even make it surge! haha sorry man

#19 ·
It does increase flow... across the compressor wheel, not into the engine. The port in the housing goes from compressor discharge to compressor inlet. As far as the wheel is concerned, it's moving more air, but the extra air it's moving is simply going round and round from discharge to inlet and back again.

This is how it stabilizes the wheel. It allows the wheel to move more air for the same boost pressure even though the engine itself isn't actually ingesting anything more.

Not only does a turbo with a ported or "Antisurge" compressor housing not move more air, it moves less. And it's slightly less efficient at doing it (When I think about a pump where the outlet is connected to the inlet, efficiency doesn't pop to mind).

But, the tradeoff in slightly lower efficiency everywhere else is acceptable when it can increase the "efficiency" at or across the original surge line, because when a compressor is surging, efficiency is not even a possibility. It's horrible. So if you spend most of your time lugging the engine with enough fuel to power the boost needed to cross the surge line for that engine flow rate, then you would benefit.

Otherwise. No. It's damn sure not a performance product.

#22 ·
#24 ·
yeah i know they have one i was just lookin for less than $400....ive been runnin a van turbo on my 97 for about a year now and it wasnt till hay season till i could get it to surge, 20k on the trailer 70mph givin it all shes got it surges.

i have been lucky on my wifes SD the stocker on it dosnt surge much unless your at real high rpms but the 3.73 and the slush box dosnt let it get that far and i usually tow the heavy loads with my truck.

#25 ·
The higher the rpm, the more impossible it is to make the compressor surge. If you're much over 2000rpm I'd say you're just about never going to get surge period.

When you're towing heavy, take the truck out of Overdrive, and all is well.

#28 ·
70 mph on trucks with 3.73 gears = ~2000rpm in Overdrive...

It's not a 14L CAT, you don't need to be pulling 20k at 2000rpm.

If you downshifted, that would put you just under 2800rpm. Which also correlates to the peak power of the engine, the point where you are putting the most torque to the ground possible for that vehicle speed no matter what a "Torque Head" might try and tell you.

And if you're really pulling 20k, or even 20k Gross, you don't need to be in Overdrive in the first place unless you're on the flats. Even then, you'd be wise to run out of Overdrive.

You will not be hurting the engine, it will thank you for it.

#29 ·
The powerstroke loves RPM's...

#30 ·
lol its my 97 that has the suging van turbo on it. 5sp 4.10's its the one i need the ats housing for. yeah i run 20k on the trailer during hay season quite a bit 14 4x5 #1000lb coastal bales on a #6000lb gn trailer

my wifes truck with 3.73's the stocker dosnt surge on it.

#31 ·
What rpm are you at in 5th with the 4.10's when you encounter the problem?

With the Oldschool ZF and 4.10 gears at 70 you should be high enough in rpm to avoid the surge.

Although without an intercooler you're really not moving much air at all. That will greatly lower the amount of boost you can run before it surges.

I did not realize you were referring to the OBS. A better solution might just be to put an intercooler on the truck. It will run cooler, make more power and it will not surge with the cooler if you don't change anything else.

You should be able to pick up a stock superduty cooler pretty damn cheap. Get an intake for an early 99 and fab up some CAC tubes from steel (since they're easy to weld) and away you go.

I couldn't imagine trying to tow that heavy with no cooler. You're seriously handicapped.

#32 ·
nah its already ic'ed 7.3 cooler the 6oh spearco is sitting in the shop with an antler through it grr with 3" plenums, 130singles, tonys tunes, this happens on the mild tow tune, electric fuel.

i posted it over here since i saw the thread on the ats and was thinkin i need one to stop the surgin. it suprized me when i hear it the first time but its definately surging.

oh yeah its surgin about 2500rpm's

just seems to do it when im over 12k on the trailer??

dangit, now im wondering if this is part of the possible injector/hpop possible problem. fuel pressure stays right at 70psi all the time. but if im in the hot program and giver hell it stalls and it a pain to start again. im wondering if this "surge" is what im getting in the mild program?? dammit why didnt i think of this before??

#33 ·
That charger has absolutely ZERO business surging at that engine rpm. It's just not possible.

If the compressor is actually surging you have an intake blockage, or something else going on that needs to be resolved, because compressor stability is the least of the issues.

2500rpm is enough rpm for even a pretty large wheel, definately enough for a stock wheel.

You've got something going on with that thing. When you say the surge gets worse with rpm.... you know something is bad wrong.

#34 ·
thats what i thought too was rpms would solve it, it seems to do it round that rpm range but couldnt get the rpms higher without downshifting so i just slowed down some and it stopped. the filter was pretty new, during the summer i usually only get a couple months out of a filter and its done.

now that im thinkin about it im wondering about if its an injection/hpop issue. im gonna see if i can get up to tony's soon to get it on the computer to see if we can see whats goofin up.

when it first did it i was just thinkin it was surgin sounds just like it is, i was hopin the ported housing would be a quick fix but nooooo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.