Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to paint my chrome bumpers and grille. My thoughts were scuff with 80 grit then prime with PPG self etching primer then proceed with PPG color. I have never painted over chrome before , so this is a first for me. You guys have any ideas or think that would work?

Thanks Donnie

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
80 is way to coarse. You will get plnty opinions on how to paint chrome...so thats the only bit of advice I will throw out on this one.
I would agree that 80 grit is way to coarse on normal metal or paint/primer ..... but i did a test spot and it is the only thing that scuffs it , 220 just puts micro scratches in it. Chrome is hardened so i was thinking 80grit to scuff to adhere to. Im open to suggestions though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am an automitive painter, and the way that we usually do it where I work is sand it with 80 grit, as you metioned because the chrome is so hard, and then clean it thoroughly with lacquer thinner, then spray an etching primer on it, I usually use DuPont VeraPrime, but anything would work as long as it is an etching primer, after that you should be good to paint over it like normal, in the rare case that the 80 grit scratches are visible, you can spray a filler primer, once again I like DuPont 7704s, but any filler primer would work and I have never needed to do that before. Anyway I would be more than glad to try to help with any other questions you may have.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with dupont 7704s. Primer is just as important as final paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts