Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is going in for studs/gaskets/egr delete in next 1.5 wks. I was looking at upgrading the turbo, as I know I will likely want more power later (based on the last 3 cars that I've ugraded...too much is never enough), while everything is apart. Anyone tried the Stage I, II, or III stock turbo upgrades from turbo engineering corp (turboengineering.com). Specs sound promising, but price is fairly up there for what is being done. My current (and last car) is a 900+hp twin turbo/9 sec street driven car. The turbo engineering corp ugprade cost is about 70% of what it would cost to replace the turbos on each of those cars outright (w/ no core charge).
:eek:

'04 Excursion

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
I've replied to ur thread on a different forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've replied to ur thread on a different forum.
With all due respect, you responded to my post but didn't answer any of the questions. I just don't want someone, who might have the answer that I'm looking for, who reads this post/thread to think that the original questions were answered. I am looking for technical/hardware differences that might justify the cost difference not, "its just different" and "cuz you know gassers, you don't know diesels"...While I admit, I dont have much experience with diesels, turbocharging principles are still the same. You need a volume of air (displacement and rpm), at a certain pressure ratio (boost) accross a certain rpm band...how you get there drives the turbo choice, and because of certain factors, technology to deal with the hardware/engine/packaging constraints (i.e. ball bearings vs. journal, variable geometry, water cooling, etc.). I would simply like to know what hardware or manufacturing (i.e. milling) differences exist for 6.0L PSD replacement turbos and run of the mill GT38R or Precison T76 GTS, or T88/T6 turbos that cost about the same as an upgrade (for PSD turbo).

Just looking to get a little smarter here.

·
Sleeper
18 Posts
I’ll offer some input at the risk of requiring a fire suite from a few folks.
You mentioned two critical points: Dependable DD and Wife’s primary ride.

Since you’re aware of the finer points of turbo selection, it really boils down to product vs margin. The 6.0 has a notoriously low exhaust velocity due in part to cam design, head configuration, exhaust manifold restrictions, etc. The OEM Garrett VGT while restrictive, does help to improve on towing capability and throttle response. Various venders offer different approaches to “improvements”. However, most succeed only in reducing throttle response and towing capabilities.

I would like to address a comment made on another forum, as a business owner, I understand the need for profit and excellent customer service. However, for some reason the US diesel market seems to accept ridiculous pricing and poor customer service. The base point for about anything is $500.00, why? Because folks will pay it…..

I also have a few boosted toys, my favorite being a 69 SS Malibu with a LS 383 twin turbo. My lady drives an 07 turbo Infinity G35 everyday to work. Both were dyno and street tuned to dangerous levels; neither cost me what some folks pay to get an extra 250hp out of the 6.0……

To directly answer your question, I have not heard of anyone using the vender you mentioned? I can offer my own observations on what VGT option is currently available for the 6.0.
Elite does have two products; the SR & SS. Both have minimal machining to except different wheels with a focus on a louder turbine. Neither can match the OEM VGT for towing or response. Elite IMO is also one of the highest priced venders.
RCD also offers a VGT variant but focuses on the BW turbo’s. There product seems to have a positive following.
Industrial Injection offers a few options , but from what I’ve seen they copied the Elite profiles.
Ironically, the new Garrett HP replacement boast improvements over all the mentioned venders and are in some cases 60% less cost with NO core charge.

To achieve any appreciable improvements you need to address the poor OEM fuel distribution system, replace the entire OEM exhaust, and contact Doug at GOGO (a vender here) for info on his much altered intake manifold. Other items are confirm the FICM is healthy, and checked the OEM grounds as they do work loose at the frame. Replacing the OEM positive battery cables and alternator are also a good idea.
Tuning is without question the single most important variable on the 6.0 PSD, there are several very good tuners. One last item, be cautious of people making claims of improved this or that. One member here is rebuilding his 6.0 from a product marketed with apparently little or no REAL testing.

Lets us know what you decide as we’re always looking for something new!

Wekiwa

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll offer some input at the risk of requiring a fire suite from a few folks.
You mentioned two critical points: Dependable DD and Wife’s primary ride.

Since you’re aware of the finer points of turbo selection, it really boils down to product vs margin. The 6.0 has a notoriously low exhaust velocity due in part to cam design, head configuration, exhaust manifold restrictions, etc. The OEM Garrett VGT while restrictive, does help to improve on towing capability and throttle response. Various venders offer different approaches to “improvements”. However, most succeed only in reducing throttle response and towing capabilities.

I would like to address a comment made on another forum, as a business owner, I understand the need for profit and excellent customer service. However, for some reason the US diesel market seems to accept ridiculous pricing and poor customer service. The base point for about anything is $500.00, why? Because folks will pay it…..

I also have a few boosted toys, my favorite being a 69 SS Malibu with a LS 383 twin turbo. My lady drives an 07 turbo Infinity G35 everyday to work. Both were dyno and street tuned to dangerous levels; neither cost me what some folks pay to get an extra 250hp out of the 6.0……

To directly answer your question, I have not heard of anyone using the vender you mentioned? I can offer my own observations on what VGT option is currently available for the 6.0.
Elite does have two products; the SR & SS. Both have minimal machining to except different wheels with a focus on a louder turbine. Neither can match the OEM VGT for towing or response. Elite IMO is also one of the highest priced venders.
RCD also offers a VGT variant but focuses on the BW turbo’s. There product seems to have a positive following.
Industrial Injection offers a few options , but from what I’ve seen they copied the Elite profiles.
Ironically, the new Garrett HP replacement boast improvements over all the mentioned venders and are in some cases 60% less cost with NO core charge.

To achieve any appreciable improvements you need to address the poor OEM fuel distribution system, replace the entire OEM exhaust, and contact Doug at GOGO (a vender here) for info on his much altered intake manifold. Other items are confirm the FICM is healthy, and checked the OEM grounds as they do work loose at the frame. Replacing the OEM positive battery cables and alternator are also a good idea.
Tuning is without question the single most important variable on the 6.0 PSD, there are several very good tuners. One last item, be cautious of people making claims of improved this or that. One member here is rebuilding his 6.0 from a product marketed with apparently little or no REAL testing.

Lets us know what you decide as we’re always looking for something new!

Wekiwa
Outstanding post...exactly what I was looking for and spot on! with your observations. Pretty cool toys...love to see boosted (especially turbos) classic muscle.!!!!!

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Gos performance sells those turbos Wek. Very well put by the way better then me

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Garrett does make an Stage 1 turbo for these trucks, which utilizes the same VGT technology has the stock one.
TurboByGarrett.com - Ford PowerStroke
Might be something to look into.

What is your current/last car?
Thanks...was just looking at that turbo and wondering what they go for.

I just recently sold a twin turbo '98 Viper GTS. I still have an '03 TT Z06 with 4spd Auto conversion.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Sleeper
18 Posts
Thanks...was just looking at that turbo and wondering what they go for.

I just recently sold a twin turbo '98 Viper GTS. I still have an '03 TT Z06 with 4spd Auto conversion.
I think the price is or was about $1600.00 no core. There is nothing like stepping into REAL power at ~3psi and getting tossed into the headrest until you let up......YYYEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Then again, looking over at the other car, smiling as you roast the tires, shifting into 4th at 80+mph has a small impact too........

Earl,
Allow me to offer another path to consider. Many folks begin a project with no real goal or destination, after spending $$$$ on the wrong injectors, turbo, nos, etc; they decide a compound kit should have been the correct choice. I say this because I have removed many, many misdirected products from trucks. The sad thing is many were and are used to support the family business. Its rarely a defective product; although that’s does happen more often than not lately; but rather a misapplication of a good product.
I and others have answered the same question hundreds of times on several forums, but it seems every week a new truck owner wants an 8Klb 4x4 CC truck to make 500+hp, run 12’s at the track, tow 20K lbs, and get 20 mpg, all while being dependable as the sun rise….IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN……..
Since you have the power bug in your blood, (like me), consider this:
A compound turbo kit (not twins) will provide tremendous TORGUE for when the need is there, and is very streetable when driven with some measure of sanity! The Canadian crew (Redneck & company) have been playing with compounds for years with great success. If you want a budget a few pennies:
Compound kit ~ $7000.00
175cc Injectors ~2500.00
Trans upgrade kit ~2500.00
If however your only goal is to embarrass a mustang, vette, or charger with the X, then that can be done with ~155cc injectors, small fuel system upgrade, exhaust, and the right tune.
Innovative Diesel is one vender with compound kits, and there are others.

Wekiwa

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Yea I posted the same on another for him lil less detail mainly for DD.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
it seems every week a new truck owner wants an 8Klb 4x4 CC truck to make 500+hp, run 12’s at the track, tow 20K lbs, and get 20 mpg, all while being dependable as the sun rise….IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN……..
It can and does happen....I did it years ago. The only kicker with a 6.0, unfortunatly is the dependable part.....sometimes. I admittedly pushed mine too hard.
I still do it today....and it's been utterly dependable for close to 50K miles but not with a 6.0. It is what it is.....but I think you can have your cake and eat it too...as long as you have some moderation with said cake.
190's, a good fuel system(not some mammoth unnecessary BS either), 65mm VGT turbo, a good trans and some good tuning will make 550ish all day long, run 12's, tow reasonably well (I regularly towed 10-12K back then) and got 22.6MPH hand calculated at 70 mph.

What I didn't do was respect it. Long stretches at WOT, lots of nitrous, burnouts on the rev limiter in 5th gear, etc.....that motor throwing a rod was 100% my fault. LOL

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
It can and does happen....I did it years ago. The only kicker with a 6.0, unfortunatly is the dependable part.....sometimes. I admittedly pushed mine too hard.
I still do it today....and it's been utterly dependable for close to 50K miles but not with a 6.0. It is what it is.....but I think you can have your cake and eat it too...as long as you have some moderation with said cake.
190's, a good fuel system(not some mammoth unnecessary BS either), 65mm VGT turbo, a good trans and some good tuning will make 550ish all day long, run 12's, tow reasonably well (I regularly towed 10-12K back then) and got 22.6MPH hand calculated at 70 mph.

What I didn't do was respect it. Long stretches at WOT, lots of nitrous, burnouts on the rev limiter in 5th gear, etc.....that motor throwing a rod was 100% my fault. LOL
Holy ####. Someone actually admitted to "not getting on it much".

Rock on Richard. I still keep beating the #### out of mine as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I posted the same on another for him lil less detail mainly for DD.
Called your guy on the powermax, price delivered is decent...really considering pulling the trigger with (stock injectors for now)...anybody need an '04 PSD Stock turbo with 88k miles? Truck is going in for studs/gaskets and egr delete next week...so, so tempting.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
I don't know how big of a charger you're looking at but if it's in the 65-66 range and non-VGT you're gonna need some fuel to spool that thing.
These low rpm diesels need some heat to get a charger spinning.
You might consider doing injectors and a turbo at the same time....so you can tune it all at once.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Holy ####. Someone actually admitted to "not getting on it much".

Rock on Richard. I still keep beating the #### out of mine as well.
You guys are crazy. I baby my truck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know how big of a charger you're looking at but if it's in the 65-66 range and non-VGT you're gonna need some fuel to spool that thing.
These low rpm diesels need some heat to get a charger spinning.
You might consider doing injectors and a turbo at the same time....so you can tune it all at once.
Its the powermax 3788

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
You'll like that Earl, you'll have to a lil tuning adjusted on it though. Talk to Matt at Gearhead what I currently use right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts