Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to offend anyone, so I said both Indian and Native American since I've been yelled at for using bothLOL

My girlfriend is half Indian, and she swears she knows EVERYTHING about HER culture.

Couple questions,

What is the "evil eye"

Where did the "evil eye" originate?

She swears up and down it is an Indian thing, which I know it is, but I always thought it originated in India and Europe, and was brought to America by the europeans? Can someone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my wife give me the evil eye sometimes..... but she's from ohio so i don't know... :D
LOL yeah thats where the convo started. She said she was gonna give me the evil eye, then asked me if I knew what it was. So i darted over to wikipidia and found it...which of course is wrong to her:doh:

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
Im a native american indian and yes our people do have an evil eye legend and no its not from europe though they have a ton of evil eye legends too.

The native american version basically comes in a few different flavors.

1. Has to do with the belief that a shaman/witch woman can cast their gaze on a person and cause a curse to be formed. If the person is pregnant the children will be deformed or cursed.

2. Has to do with a legend of a witch woman that traveled up and down the coast luring people to their doom. She was later trapped in stone and to this day still lures people to her stone prison resulting in death or madness if the people are ever found at all.

From here it kind of breaks up into small tribe tales.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im a native american indian and yes our people do have an evil eye legend and no its not from europe though they have a ton of evil eye legends too.

The native american version basically comes in a few different flavors.

1. Has to do with the belief that a shaman/witch woman can cast their gaze on a person and cause a curse to be formed. If the person is pregnant the children will be deformed or cursed.

2. Has to do with a legend of a witch woman that traveled up and down the coast luring people to their doom. She was later trapped in stone and to this day still lures people to her stone prison resulting in death or madness if the people are ever found at all.

From here it kind of breaks up into small tribe tales.
Thanks crowz. #1 is the exact same legend as every other countries (greece, India, Spain etc.)

#2 is more along the lines she was talking. Pretty neat stuff, very interesting.
What tribe are you Crowz?

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
Thanks crowz. #1 is the exact same legend as every other countries (greece, India, Spain etc.)

#2 is more along the lines she was talking. Pretty neat stuff, very interesting.
What tribe are you Crowz?
Cherokee tribe with some creek ancestors too.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
I've got a squaw and a few papooses at the house, so anyway, native americans, where was it again they migrated from?
Well thats a touchy subject. My ancestors believe we began here, the people that came along later and took over claimed we migrated across a land bridge that existed from asia to north america. Depends on who you believe :D

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
i thought they flew southwest since bags fly free.... LOL

just so nobody gets offended.. i do have American Indian (Cherokee actually) in me.. Not a lot after a few generations, but a little. :) Just trying to have a little fun.

BTW, the

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i thought they flew southwest since bags fly free.... LOL

just so nobody gets offended.. i do have American Indian (Cherokee actually) in me.. Not a lot after a few generations, but a little. :) Just trying to have a little fun.

BTW, the
Care to finish Matt?LOL

·
SLOW LEARNER
739 Posts
My wife says I will never get into her evil eye.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
I used to use it for a pick-up line.

Got any Indian in you?

Would you like some?

Even worked a couple of times.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
******? Cherokee and Chickasaw.

I can't register. Due to the fact that even though I can prove my great-great grandfather/grandmother and great grandfather/grandmother were living on the Chickasaw Nation in 1890 and 1900 census..

The dawles' rolls show my great grandfather as of mixed, because he re-married in Fort Worth to a cracker woman... His roll card is listed as "doubtful" not "denied".. So according to the Chickasaw Nation, I'm not $hit.

I haven't even bothered contacting the Cherokee Nation. I heard they are even more strict.

So #### it.. I'm just American.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
******? Cherokee and Chickasaw.

I can't register. Due to the fact that even though I can prove my great-great grandfather/grandmother and great grandfather/grandmother were living on the Chickasaw Nation in 1890 and 1900 census..

The dawles' rolls show my great grandfather as of mixed, because he re-married in Fort Worth to a cracker woman... His roll card is listed as "doubtful" not "denied".. So according to the Chickasaw Nation, I'm not .

I haven't even bothered contacting the Cherokee Nation. I heard they are even more strict.

So #### it.. I'm just American.
It was a royal pain getting all my stuff done before going into the coast guard. Did it to help with promotions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.