Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of hunting and hate it when I open the doors on my 2008 Super Duty the dome lights come on. So I would like to do a mod to where I can over ride the dome lights through a switch and not have the dome lights come on when I go to open my doors but able to flip a switch and still have the option to have the dome lights come on when the doors open. Wonder why Ford doesn't have this feature, it's aggravating! Please help me with this mod with any ideas or suggestions. Would like to make it where it looks like a factory switch and not aftermarket. Thank you in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
What are you hunting at night?
:whs:

you could always pull the headliner down and run wires into the power wires for the domelights from a switch so that they wont come on. i felt the same way when i first got my truck because pretty much every other vehicle in the world has the ability to turn off the lights. if i remember because i can't see the post as im typing this you have an 08 so you could run it to an upfitter switch i guess. or hide a switch somewhere that wont be noticeable like in the center console or under the dash.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More for calling in the morning before daylight for elk and turkey or out shooting coyotes. Nothing like having the dome lights on so they know where your at.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
You could also get red led lights to replace what's in there now. My buddy just did this with blue and although I like the way the blue looks I think I'm going to replace every light in the domes with red led setups. Red is also the dimmest color and would help you with your hunting in the morning as they wouldn't see you as easily due to the color not being bright

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to just have a switch to override the dome lights and be able to flip the switch and have it back to normal.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
why not just pull the fuse and tap in there with your switch leads
they actually sell kits to do this in jeeps for when the doors are off
google wrangler dome light switch

·
Registered
69 Posts
More for calling in the morning before daylight for elk and turkey or out shooting coyotes. Nothing like having the dome lights on so they know where your at.
How do you get them to not notice the sound of the diesel pulling up???:poke:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still looking for a solution besides installing different color of light bulbs or pulling the light bulbs out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I wonder if it's Jeep specific? You wouldn't know which wires or fuse to hook up to would ya?
look in the owners manual. fuse diagrams in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it's anything like my 02 there is no fuse direct for the dome lights. they are controlled by the gauge cluster. So I'd have to tap into the wire harness behind the cluster to wire in a switch for the dome light over ride.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts