Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help with my throttle control on my boat! I have a 350 mercruiser with a 5.7 alpha 1 outdrive I/O. Trying to rack my brain for the last 2 days and have read re-read the manual cant seem to figure out this crap! Any HELP? PLEASE!?

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok heres the status now, i pulled the top cable that goes to the outdrive off to see where my binding issue is. When i fut it in forward it only goes about half way and then gets super tight, it wont go into reverse at all so i pulled the cable off so i could isolate the problem whether it was the cable into the outdrive binding or if it was the cable to the throttle controller. it is still tight and the cable is not hooked up so it leads me to believe the cable to controller or the controller itself is fuked. the cable that goes to the outdrive from the mount will not move at all, like it is jammed or something. Where do i go from here, i know that you have to put the controller in forward all the way to pull the outdrive but when i cant move the lever forward its kinda hard to do that. WHAT DO I DO NOW!!!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Remove the control box and make sure it is not binding. Next remove the cable from the control box to the engine and run it by hand to make sure it is not binding. If they are both fine check the cable from the engine to outdrive by removing the outdrive and running the cable by hand. you should be able to remove the outdrive without being in forward gear.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
ERJ Aircraft Mechanic
853 Posts
How old are the cables?

I've heard of binding issues when cables get worn.

I had a problem on the control for my O/B, it turned out just to be a loose screw on the inside.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cables replaced in 03, i am going to tear into it on sunday night or monday after work. I am in the process of tearing all the seats and getting all upholstery redone. I have sanded all the wood and ******** there is a lot of wood in there. should be like a band new boat when i get done....if i ever get there!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would bet it is the shift cable. Disconnect it at the engine and try moving the throttle control without it hooked up. This will isolate which cable is the problem.

Shift cables are usually a problem because the cable makes a tight radius bend either in the engine compartment or on the outdrive or both.

The inner part of the cable jacket corrodes and then swells and pinches the inner cable that does the shifting.

There are cables that cost more but do a better job guarding against corrosion.

If you look up Teleflex on the web they describe the difference between the less expensive and more expensive cables. >5 years on a shift cable is really good.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I would bet it is the shift cable. Disconnect it at the engine and try moving the throttle control without it hooked up. This will isolate which cable is the problem.

Shift cables are usually a problem because the cable makes a tight radius bend either in the engine compartment or on the outdrive or both.

The inner part of the cable jacket corrodes and then swells and pinches the inner cable that does the shifting.

There are cables that cost more but do a better job guarding against corrosion.

If you look up Teleflex on the web they describe the difference between the less expensive and more expensive cables. >5 years on a shift cable is really good.
:whs: You can fill the tunnel with PB Blaster and work back and forth. Do you store outside? that and lake storage are the 2 worst ways to keep a boat.

·
Registered
920 Posts
:whs: You can fill the tunnel with PB Blaster and work back and forth. Do you store outside? that and lake storage are the 2 worst ways to keep a boat.
I would try this if I was on vacation with the boat and was trying to salvage that vacation.

My recommendation is to change cables especially if they are Seven years old. A sicking throttle, shift or steering cable is an accident just waiting to happen.

·
Registered
130 Posts
change the cable. I agree. I am a comm. fishermen and i split a cable one day and my motor was stuck in forward. My throttle got very very tight when it happened. Finished out the rest of the day with no netural or reverse and later that night i replaced the cable. Smooth as silk.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also, like others have said, you get what you pay for when it comes to cables. Run teleflex. I believe they themselves even have different grades of quailty.

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Teleflex is a good name in cables. They are the brand that I sell my customers for replacements.
well if i need some cables i will get ahold of ya, i dont think that is my issue right now because i unhooked the cable at the mount on the motor and and it is still tough to put in reverse and it wont go in reverse at all, i am leading towards the stock 26 year old throttle controller

the outdrive cable is stuck at the mount i cant move it in either direction and that should be smooth with other cable disconnected. So i have to figure out how to get the otdrive off without having the controller in forward.

·
Registered
920 Posts
well if i need some cables i will get ahold of ya, i dont think that is my issue right now because i unhooked the cable at the mount on the motor and and it is still tough to put in reverse and it wont go in reverse at all, i am leading towards the stock 26 year old throttle controller

the outdrive cable is stuck at the mount i cant move it in either direction and that should be smooth with other cable disconnected. So i have to figure out how to get the otdrive off without having the controller in forward.
It sounds like you have more than one bad cable. It is possible that the throttle control assembly is bad but that is rare. Disconnect the cables from it and see what happens.

People have broken the throttle assembly by trying to overcome the resistance that bad cables cause.

Ordinarily the outdrive removal is not difficult, but it sounds like your boat has been laid up awhile.

Get a decent service manual and go slow. Take a look at the drive shaft U-joints, rubber belows etc. while you have it apart.

Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts