Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
IMO while it is out i'd at LEAST put new bearings/rings and have the block/rods checked. IF it so happens that one of the above are junk, it'd suck to find out the hard way.
I like your thinking. I was thinking the same thing.

I will be pulling everything apart tonight or tomorrow and take the block and have it checked out also.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
good plan.

Have them check the bores also for taper as well as the line bore, magnafluxed, etc. Just have them completely go through it i suppose lol It will be worth it in the long run.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Where can i get a set of heads?

And if the block is still good. is the rebuild kit from PowerStrokeShop.com good?

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
I think there were a few sets on here for sale, might try that. Otherwise, i'm not really sure. Junkyard maybe?

As far as the rebuilt kit, i believe alot of people use that. But hopefully people that have used it can give you feedback on it.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
It's a Ford master rebuild kit. It better be good.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
How hard is it to do a rebuild? I'm good at taking things apart and putting them back together just never done it to the internals of a motor.

Is there anything I need to know. where can i get all the specs for torques and everything.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Better check that block good. Check the cylinder walls below the top of the piston for cracks/ pinholes.

If you can figure a way to pressure test it that would be a good idea too. Buddy of mine just got done with the same problem. Cracked cylinder below the top of the piston. Only way it showed up was he pulled the pan with the heads still on there and pressured it up with coolant still in there. It finally started leaking into the bottom end then. That head would have to be cracked pretty bad to leak coolant into the oil, and besides that, it would have to by the piston WITHOUT HYDROLOCKING.

Not much chance of that as much as you were losing/ that fast. Check everything, check it twice. You'll really be sick if it turns out you overhauled a cracked block with new heads and bearings and gaskets only to have it still leak.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Better check that block good. Check the cylinder walls below the top of the piston for cracks/ pinholes.

If you can figure a way to pressure test it that would be a good idea too. Buddy of mine just got done with the same problem. Cracked cylinder below the top of the piston. Only way it showed up was he pulled the pan with the heads still on there and pressured it up with coolant still in there. It finally started leaking into the bottom end then. That head would have to be cracked pretty bad to leak coolant into the oil, and besides that, it would have to by the piston WITHOUT HYDROLOCKING.

Not much chance of that as much as you were losing/ that fast. Check everything, check it twice. You'll really be sick if it turns out you overhauled a cracked block with new heads and bearings and gaskets only to have it still leak.
I plan on having the block tested also. is this what i should have done?

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #190

·
fueled by Colecovision
3,060 Posts
BigStroker....

did the shop say where or what was cracked in the head(s)?

I'll be glad to talk to your machine shop if they have any questions about these goofy engines.

take care~

Dave

·
Body Type: MULE
2,012 Posts
well.... both of my heads are junk.

Just got a call back saying they had cracks everywhere. So what should I do now?

Replace both heads and put it back together.

Or should I go ahead and take the motor apart and have it tested 2? and do a rebuild on it?

or do you think the motor is still good and putting it all back together should be fine.

Thanks

Wowwww.... I kinda find that hard to believe but then again this is keyboard racing.

WERE were they cracked? Im confused here.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
I will get back with them tomorrow and find out more. they said they had more than a couple cracks in them... they pressure tested them and magnafluxed them.

I will let ya know what i find out. Right now i think i am going to get a short block from DI and a set of good used heads to fix up to put on it.

Thanks for all the help guys

181 - 196 of 196 Posts