Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

just wondering if you can put a 2wd ZF6 and fit it with the T/C from my ZF5?

i realize the issues with the swap, costs, etc...but these transmissions are pretty hard to come by where i'm at and my 5sp has had a hard life until i got it...just planning for the future....and just wondering.

thanks.

bj

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can't put a 2wd ZF6 with any transfer case as it sits. You could have the tail housing swapped out for a 4x4 tailhouse and then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure what year the ZF6 you have is from nor the year of your truck. The 96, 97, and maybe some later model trucks have Borg Warner 4407s. Earlier than that for a few years had the Borg Warner 1356 which is interchangeable with the 4407 and the appropriate driveshafts. The bolt pattern on the front that connects to the tranny is exactly the same for the two different models. From what I understand a ZF6 with a 4x4 tail will bolt up to an OBS t case just fine but there are other things to deal with for example, the ZF6 has a cooler.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok...that's what i thought...i was hoping the tail housing swap would be the extent of it...but i guess not.

oh well.

thanks.

bj

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
From those I have spoken with, the ZF6 must have the later style SD T-case to mate to it, not one from an OBS, if that's what you're asking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts