Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. i have been looking around trying to decide on what turbo i want to run when i build my engine, but just cant seem to make a decision. i have decided i will be running 300/400's in it. i'm going to build the engine w/ girdle, rods, pistons, etc. and will be drag racing with it along with a little bit of street time, not daily driving. so with all that said i will be keeping the manual tranny and possibly using a procharger to help light the turbo up since i have a manual tranny. i have thought of using like a gt42 or 45, s400, sledghammer, K31, etc. then i ran across an HT3B and an HX55 today. anybody know specs on these turbos or how they would perform on my build? i think they were both set up as twins on someones dodge and i found them on CL. haha. anything y'all can teach me on choosing a turbo for a given injector and stuff will be much appreciated. thanks!!!

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
HT3b is about 76mm, i think an HT4B would be better for a twin/supercharger set up ht4b is 82mm i think. hx55 is smaller than a 3b i think... gt45 would work, i would stay journal bearing to save money... there is my side, ill let others chime in.

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
since you mention using a procharger i dont know how much info people will have as far as sizing a turbo. not many people have done it so it might be trial and error and see which setup works best

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i figure since the prochargers are being run on smaller turbos like Dannys stock charger and rockrunners 38R then it would probably help get the ball rolling til the turbo will light since i'm running with a manual trans. haha. i will probably go with the F-1A procharger. what size is the GT45??? i have heard that the gt42's and 45's are quite expensive turbos compared to some others like S400's, but i don't know for sure as i haven't bought either one. haha. thanks so far guys. i should also say that the HT3B i found has a 26cm turbine housing.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
they are a little pricy thats why i suggested journal bearing, they are abou 1200 bucks i think, as oposed to 2100 for ball bearing. Borg warner turbos with HTT should be a good turbo for you.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with HTT??? huh? sorry don't no all the turbo lingo quite yet. haha. My main concern is having a turbo that will spool up easily enough with a manual trans to run it down the strip just for fun. i won't be very competitive, but it will be fun to be able to go play every now and then with it. anyways thats why i wanted to use procharger b/c i have seen some twin setups on some manual trucks that take a little while to spool after a shift.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If you are going thru all this trouble and considerable cash outlay to build a basically dedicated strip truck why woudl you handicap it by staying with a manual tranny? You will not be towing and DD you say will be very minimal? You are setting yourself up with such a big handicap IMO.

On the PC as I understand it at a minimum the PC needs to be able to flow more than the turbo can so it will not choke the turbo. You also need to take into account how they build boost; load versus RPM. I think best thing you can do if you are serious about this is give Empire a call before you start buying anything and have them help you choose a proper match up that will achieve your goals. An F1-a flows 1650 cfm A GT45 would be right at that or likely a bit more so I would think you will be needing different pulleys such as with the F1-C or R. This is all guess work on my part. Really need to talk to them in getting a correct match up. The Gt45 may not even be the best choice for turbos.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going thru all this trouble and considerable cash outlay to build a basically dedicated strip truck why woudl you handicap it by staying with a manual tranny? You will not be towing and DD you say will be very minimal? You are setting yourself up with such a big handicap IMO.

On the PC as I understand it at a minimum the PC needs to be able to flow more than the turbo can so it will not choke the turbo. You also need to take into account how they build boost; load versus RPM. I think best thing you can do if you are serious about this is give Empire a call before you start buying anything and have them help you choose a proper match up that will achieve your goals. An F1-a flows 1650 cfm A GT45 would be right at that or likely a bit more so I would think you will be needing different pulleys such as with the F1-C or R. This is all guess work on my part. Really need to talk to them in getting a correct match up. The Gt45 may not even be the best choice for turbos.
why am i keeping a manual tranny??? Simply b/c i want to keep the manual and i despise automatic trannies. i like the fact that it takes more skill to pull a decent time out of my truck b/c it has 2 handicaps. its 2wd and its a 5 speed. Nobody will talk me into an auto swap, so i will throw some slicks on the back, launch in 3rd and shift twice. haha. just my personal preference, but if i wanted to really compete i would put a BTS in it. heck if it will hold together decently i will probably drive it around more than i think i will. haha.

i may call empire at some point, but i don't want to waste their time if i'm not going to be buying at the point of contact. what size turbos are ppl usually using for 300/400's with their autos? wasn't marty using an S475? so i could probably get away with something like that, but with a procharger in front of it? haha. thanks again guys. looking like a call to empire may be neccessary. LoL

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
marty was running an s475, you could run nitrous to help keep the turbo lit, a guy i was racing with ran a 50 hp shot just to keep the turbo lit during shifts.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
What is your actual HP goal?

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's hard for me to come up with a goal at this point, but i'd be happy to see around the 600-650 range, but like i said before since i haven't messed around with any higher hp psd's i don't no exactly whats needed when it comes to injectors/turbos. i no i need to do the bottom end and i plan to have the block cryo'd. i wasn't sure if like 350/200's would hit that range or not. i have jumped back and forth on injector choices a lot thats for sure. haha. i'm just trying to plan right now so i can slowly buy parts and then once i get to the end of buying all the parts for the build then i can get on it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
350'scan hit it with enough tweaking

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
GTX4294R 1.15 housing
350cc300% Hybrids fuel side modes
Some head porting if you can would be helpful at this level. As much as you can afford to have done as its not cheap like a SB. Do some checking on posts by Hot Rod Tractor and others on engine builds.
That will get you to 600HP + and then if you want a bit more a small shot of nos will take you their without much stress. You could easily NOS it to the mid 700s without issue on a proper built bottom.

Another great benefit to this build is it will be very streetable as well. You could even tow with it with water inj.

You want to take it over the top from there add a Pro Charger f1-A or F1-c as you mentioned and you will have a ton of off idle power right up thru the top end. My bet would be 700 +. Only a guess though.

You are going to have to build a engine to handle it. Set up and build a suspension to get it to the ground.

Tuning tuning tuning. Living tuning with the benefit of a dyno would be a very good idea IMO.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GTX4294R 1.15 housing
350cc300% Hybrids fuel side modes
Some head porting if you can would be helpful at this level. As much as you can afford to have done as its not cheap like a SB. Do some checking on posts by Hot Rod Tractor and others on engine builds.
That will get you to 600HP + and then if you want a bit more a small shot of nos will take you their without much stress. You could easily NOS it to the mid 700s without issue on a proper built bottom.

Another great benefit to this build is it will be very streetable as well. You could even tow with it with water inj.

You want to take it over the top from there add a Pro Charger f1-A or F1-c as you mentioned and you will have a ton of off idle power right up thru the top end. My bet would be 700 +. Only a guess though.

You are going to have to build a engine to handle it. Set up and build a suspension to get it to the ground.

Tuning tuning tuning. Living tuning with the benefit of a dyno would be a very good idea IMO.
i checked out Matt's GTX when i was at the TSD show and i'm not sure i'm as impressed with it as what they will want for the turbo, but i haven't seen it run so who knows. Have they even thrown out pricing for the GTX or no?

i have some heads that are done, but not much porting done. i was already concidering taking them up to Hamilton to get Zach to port them some more and machine them for better springs than the comp 910's i have on them. other than that they have hardened seats valves, etc. already got the H11 studs, and DI pushrods. still quite a few hard parts to buy, but it will get there. haha. plan is to use Mahle flycut pistons w/ shaved bowls, crowers or cryo'd, WOP girdle, cam, etc. i will probably start a new thread on the engine build at some point, but this one is for the air side. haha. thanks Tarm for the help so far.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I think street will be a few hundred mroe than a standard gt-R But considering the goals of 600-650 and there is no doubt that even a standard gt4295R can produce 600 + and is very streetable the GTX will be an improvement however much that maybe on that. Not only will it meet his intial goals but will also be completely drivebale. are there other wasy to skin this cat. Certainly but that is a good proven one.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think street will be a few hundred mroe than a standard gt-R But considering the goals of 600-650 and there is no doubt that even a standard gt4295R can produce 600 + and is very streetable the GTX will be an improvement however much that maybe on that. Not only will it meet his intial goals but will also be completely drivebale. are there other ways to skin this cat. Certainly but that is a good proven one.
i guess i will have to look into the price of the GT42X's. maybe a call to David for one of his adapters for the stock pedistal is in order?? ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts