Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Trailer Puller
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another guinea pig here. I traded in for a 2011 F350 last Friday.

We're from Pennsylvania and are on a one year trip looping the country,
including a trek to Alaska. We're towing a 34' fifth wheel trailer. Before we left I got the '05 truck just the way I wanted with Adam's help. So here I am in Las Vegas and I go to the local dealer for an oil and fuel filter change on my '05. While waiting and roaming the lot I see a lone '11 Super Duty and walk around checking it out. No salesman shows up so I sit around the waiting room stewing about whether to talk to a salesman. I'm just about ready to talk to one when I see two dudes headed for the truck. Aw crap, somebody beat me to it! Well, they're backing it off of their raised platform so I walk over there just to hear it. Well, it turns out that they're both salesmen and ask if I want to drive it. Hell yeah!

That was all she wrote. The truck was so smooth and quiet and drove so
well, they had me on the hook right away. The truck was just made for me as if I had ordered it. XLT, crew cab, long bed, with the new fifth wheel prep package (very slick set up). I have to admit that I don't care for the looks of the front end at all, but I won't see it while I'm driving. The hood has a big dent in it that they call the "power dome", what the hell is that?

There was a small hiccup in the process because part of the deal was that they would move my fifth wheel hitch to the new truck. It turns out that only the hitch that you can buy from Ford for $1500 will fit. We worked it out though and the new hitch basically drops right in and can be easily removed when you're not towing. So now I have a nearly new Reese 16K sliding hitch just sitting in the bed, so if anyone is looking for one PM me.

So now for a review of the truck after almost 700 miles. I love it. I would actually say that the ride quality and handling are the biggest improvements over my '05. I never drove the 6.4 version, so don't know how much better it is over that. The engine is so quiet that you wouldn't guess it was a diesel at idle or even while easy driving. Only under acceleration do you get a hint of the diesel rattle. But you know what? I kind of miss the sound of the 6.0 already.

I zeroed the computer at about 40 miles on the odo and it's showing 17
mpg over 600 miles or so. That's about 70/30 city/highway driving with
a trip to Death Valley thrown in. The death valley trip included some fairly long grades that weren't too steep so factor that in. I haven't been lead footing it much, but that's way off some of the rumors that have floated here. I'm satisfied with the mpg and I'll hand calculate some tanks when we start pulling again in a couple days.

I don't like the new six speed tranny. I think it's programmed for fuel economy and reaches for that sixth gear overdrive way too soon. It feels like there are two overdrive gears - a mini and a super overdrive. Anyway, it has to downshift a lot, where my old truck would just use the torque to pull through the overdrive. I'll be looking for a programmer just for the transmission once some start becoming available. I haven't used tow/haul yet to see if that helps, but the new thing is a manual option. Shift into "M" and use the + or - buttons to shift. That helped since I could keep it in the gear I wanted, but I don't really want to bother with it.

I had some reservations about being among the first owners of this truck, but decided that Ford was not stupid enough to go through another 6.0 debacle. I just have to think that they did all they could to destroy this thing in testing because they know that another diesel failure would probably hand the diesel market to Dodge and Chevy for good.

Attachments

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts
Nice looking pickup! Congrats:ford:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice truck. Congrats.

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
Very cool, nice truck! All these new trucks showin up are teasing us old truck guys

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Congrats Bill, glad to see you in a new truck as well, I will keep you posted on mods and such as I try them out on my new 11' yours is a sharp truck and I know you will be happy with it. That's a good review so far, I will be towing a 30' trailer up to KY next weekend so I will see how it does.

Does yours have the 3.55's or the 3.31 gears?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i agree with what you are saying about it shifting way to soon but pay closer attention to it , it has a ton of very low end torque and instant spool time, they seem to like to lug. mine is exactly like that, without trying i pulled 19.8 mpg on my first tank so in my opinion it can shift that way all it wants

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
One question. what is the diesel exhaust fluid? Nice truck man

·
Trailer Puller
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats Bill, glad to see you in a new truck as well, I will keep you posted on mods and such as I try them out on my new 11' yours is a sharp truck and I know you will be happy with it. That's a good review so far, I will be towing a 30' trailer up to KY next weekend so I will see how it does.

Does yours have the 3.55's or the 3.31 gears?
Adam, I've got the 3.31's. I was hesitant to get the truck with this gear since I'll be doing a lot of towing, but I convinced myself that the pile of torque this motor has would make up for the tall gearing.

·
Trailer Puller
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i agree with what you are saying about it shifting way to soon but pay closer attention to it , it has a ton of very low end torque and instant spool time, they seem to like to lug. mine is exactly like that, without trying i pulled 19.8 mpg on my first tank so in my opinion it can shift that way all it wants
I'll try. I guess over time I'll just get used to it and think nothing more of it. I've got a 300 mile day of towing tomorrow so I'll get a chance to see how it shifts under a load with the tow/haul.

·
Trailer Puller
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One question. what is the diesel exhaust fluid? Nice truck man
Thanks. The 6.7 uses the urea injection (diesel exhaust fluid) in the exhaust to reduce NOx. Ford's term for this is SCR - Selective Catalytic Reduction. So now we have to think about getting rid of EGR, DPF and SCR.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hu didnt know that. so who fills that up, where, and with what. How much does that cost and how often to fill it up. Sorry for all the random ?'s just curious

1 - 20 of 32 Posts