Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sloping bed cover gives good aero drag reduction but they restrict your vision.

Lately, I've been running around with an A.R.E. hard tonneau. Good vision and a lot better aero than an open bed, but not as good aerodynamically as a sloping lid.

Why not approximate a sloped lid with a set of stepped plates?

Check these out.

Tonneau

Two plates no duckbill

Two plates with a duckbill

Three plates and a duckbill

No tires as this is a centerline section.

Whaddaya think?

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
I am assuming the pink stuff is really bad.

JonFord

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t know if the pink stuff is necessarily bad or if it just differentiates itself from the aqua flows. In these sims, the pink stuff is mostly the entrained drag from the machinery under the truck. An air dam will minimize that. I left the air dam off these sims to simplify the run.

What is bad is when the aqua flow detaches from the black surface.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I see the theory, but those animations aren't exactly accurate. An open bed is fairly aerodynamic because of the bubble. The animations are 2D, and dont take into effect the bed space. Notice how the air stops at the top of the bed. I agree how these could help MPGs, but the first video is not representative of actual drag.

·
There can be only one
417 Posts
I see the theory, but those animations aren't exactly accurate. An open bed is fairly aerodynamic because of the bubble. The animations are 2D, and dont take into effect the bed space. Notice how the air stops at the top of the bed. I agree how these could help MPGs, but the first video is not representative of actual drag.
Not that I know all the ins and outs of aerodynamics but video 1 doesn't include the bed space because, as he said, it has a tonneau cover on it. There would be no bed space.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A sloping bed cover gives good aero drag reduction but they restrict your vision.

Why not approximate a sloped lid with a set of stepped plates?
The stepped plates would restrict vision too.

If they were placed horizontally as in the animations, one would only be able to see between the plates. Thus, one would turn around, find the gap to look for, then the vision would be restricted to that area.

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plates are exaggerated for the simulation.

I antipate using maybe 14 ga. aluminum.

The angle can be adjusted a couple degrees for visibility.

·
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any number of SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) papers, based on extensive wind tunnel tests have said no.

"Tailgate down" is the most evergreen fallacy in the pickup world.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have been looking at several options for improved MPG and wanted to go w/ the gear swap first but the way things worked out I started with the installation of a BakFlip F1 on the 8 ft 350 bed. Flush mount and lockable.

On a recent trip from Va to Miss. Gulf Coast for Cruisin the Coast, MPG appears to have improved from 18.5 to 20.4 at solid 60 MPH highway.

Very pleased with the BakFlip; not so much with the BacBox (toolbox that works with the BacFlip.

Need the cover for lockable storage for trips and it took precedence over the gear swap for the time being but hope to get to the gears next month.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
What about the aero tailgates that are louvered? You know they have a series of small wings with a centre section cut out for a 5th wheel. Is there a dif between SBCC compared to CCLB. My 96 consistently (CCLB) would get 3-4 miles per gallon better economy with same set up 3:55s, ZF-5 same tires and running same tail gate too. only significant difference is the sig truck is a CCSB and has 140/146 and the 96 has 150/146 jectors, why such a big difference?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts