Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im having a problem with my early 04 6.0. I just purchased the truck two weeks ago from a local dealer as-is. The truck started fine idles great but has the no start when hot. I had the same issue with my last 6.0 so after some negotiating I purchased the truck. Truck has been studded and has egr delete. My problem is they said they replaced the dummy plugs and a few other gaskets trying to resolve the no start when hot issue. This weekend I was driving on the interstate and all the sudden the truck wouldnt accelerate then it died as I was getting on the off ramp. Towed it home went out the next day cranked it a few times no start. After extended cranking it started I cut it off and waited a few minutes and tried again it started right up. I removed the hpop expecting to find bad o ring s but they were fine. Ipr screen is intact. Is there anything else I should check before buying a new hpop? Im also thinking they changed the oil and maybe used the wrong weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
You probably should have checked ICP before you pulled the pump to make sure ICP is the problem. I would put the pump back on and air pressure test the HPO system before I'd just go buy a pump.
What codes does it have?

·
Registered
166 Posts
check yr icp sensor if your is like mine its on the valve cover pull the sensor and try to start it. also if its on the valve cover when you pull it let us know if there is oil on the pigtail side were you would plug the harness in.. if so you have a bad sensor. if not let us know ive been through this the hard way and can help you through it all i just got through doing a friends and mine also..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok Im sry it's taken so long to get back I've been really busy and the truck has been sitting. So new news my alternator went out this morning. But I changed the oil and it seems like the truck is a little more responsive then I was before but still has the no start when hot issue it still also surges a little after stepping on it a few times. I was able to put my scanner on it while it was hot and the ipr% was at 36-38 at idle, is this normal? I did pull the pigtail off the icp but there was no oil and it still won't start with it unplugged. Icp cranking 355psi I know that's to low and the ipr duty cycle is at 84% cranking so I'm sure there's a HPO leak somewhere but it's a early 04 truck and the dealer said they replaced the dummy plugs so I'm wondering where to go from here because there's no STC fitting on this model correct? And I have already pulled the HPOP and all of those seals are good. Where else do I look?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Im sry it's taken so long to get back I've been really busy and the truck has been sitting. So new news my alternator went out this morning. But I changed the oil and it seems like the truck is a little more responsive then I was before but still has the no start when how issue it still also surges a little after stepping on it a few times. I was able to put my scanner on it while it was hot and the ipr% was at 36-38 at idle, is this normal? I did pull the pigtail off the icp but there was no oil and it still won't start with it unplugged. Icp cranking 355psi I know that's to low and the ipr duty cycle is at 84% cranking so I'm sure there's a HPO leak somewhere but it's a early 04 truck and the dealer said they replaced the dummy plugs so I'm wondering where to go from here because there's no STC fitting on this model correct? And I

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
:whs:

but it's a early 04 truck and the dealer said they replaced the dummy plugs
I don't think so, not on a early 04

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm with these guys injector seal. May check yr ipr make sure it's not clogged.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I didn't think early 04's had dummy plugs..... Just sayin...

If the truck died on the interstate after no power I would most likely believe would be a hpop on the early model pump.. But you should definitely air test is first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts