Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
97 dually with 202,000 miles is what I’m working on, my first diesel.
It’s starting to get cold here in South East NM, I need a shot of ether to get it started in the morning, this may be battery related. Spins pretty fast at first but quickly slows down, that’s when I use the gas. New batteries are on the “list”. Starts fine the rest of the day.
After it starts(cold in the morning) the GPR cycles on and off about once per second, I can hear it clicking and verified it with voltmeter. Is this normal?
Truck idles smoothly after it starts. Blows a little blue smoke until it warms up. Seems to run nice and smooth except sometimes it will idle rough when I stop. Any ideas there?
A little about the truck as far as I know.
I bought it in June with 197k on it.
Owner said he had the oil changed just before I bought it. Only mods to the truck that I know of were cat delete and SMF.
What I have done to it,
3” down pipe into 4” straight out the back
Big round intake filter mod.
Changed the oil/filter about 200 miles ago. Rotella 15-40
New GPR, didn’t help the cold starts.
New CPS
Rebuilt turbo
New fuel pump

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Stop using ether... You should never use that crap on a vehicle with glow plugs...

Are you saying the relay doesn't just stay on? It's turning on and off every other second?

Have you checked the color of the fuel in the fuel bowl? If oily, I would say possibly bad injector orings...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Right it's turning on and off every other second or so.
Fuel in the fuel bowl is not oily. Was in there yesterday unpluging the fuel heater.

That reminds me, I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the bowl and the screen when I installed the fuel pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Left the battery charger on last night. Tried to start it this morning and it blew a bunch of white smoke but didn't start. I was checking the battery volts with my meter and they dropped pretty quick. Plugged in the block heater for a couple of hours and it started on the first try. The GPR didn't cycle like it does when it's cold. I'm getting new batteries this week, will let yall know if thats it.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I bet its the Glow Plug system. Relay is probably fried.... we carry an upgrade kit for the truck.

·
Bushwacker
269 Posts
This is interesting I was experiencing the same situation with my buddies 94' 7.3 IDI. It must be something simple because I know these systems are very different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More weirdness going on. Driving back and forth to work the last two days (64 miles round trip) the engine missed a few times after it warmed up. I’ve read about cheap CPSs, got mine at NAPA, and I wonder if that’s it. Can someone point me in the right direction to get a quality one? All I could find on the Ford site was a shim kit.
The GPR hasn’t cycled after starting the last few times. Bought a couple of batteries on the way home from work and I’ll install them tomorrow.
A couple of things I forgot to ask the other day. When trying to start it cold there is smoke coming from the turbo area. Where is that happening at? It doesn’t smoke from there after it starts.
I hooked up an Actron scanner and it says no communication. Lighter has power. Any other ideas?

·
ate lug
172 Posts
Get a CPS from Ford, they are cheap ($20-25).

It sounds like your new GPR is bad. Yours did exactly what mine did a couple weeks ago-cycle on/off (instead of just staying on), and then a couple days later it quit working alltogether. Where did you buy it, and it is a real GPR and not a starter relay? Also, does your Wait To Start light come on?

Your smoke is probably coming from a small exhaust leak. Have you checked all the fittings/clamps for tightness since you put the turbo back on?

Id get access to another code reader and check for communication, those Actron scanners are cheapys and dont always work right. On top of that, they wont report most of the diesel-related codes these trucks will run. My neighbors doesnt even report my IDM code for the tuned-up IDM, so how useful could it really be?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Get this truck on a scanner before you blow a month's paycheck diagnosing the problem... A real scanner, one that will read a powerstroke. AE would be ideal...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get a CPS from Ford, they are cheap ($20-25).

It sounds like your new GPR is bad. Yours did exactly what mine did a couple weeks ago-cycle on/off (instead of just staying on), and then a couple days later it quit working alltogether. Where did you buy it, and it is a real GPR and not a starter relay? Also, does your Wait To Start light come on?

Your smoke is probably coming from a small exhaust leak. Have you checked all the fittings/clamps for tightness since you put the turbo back on?

Id get access to another code reader and check for communication, those Actron scanners are cheapys and dont always work right. On top of that, they wont report most of the diesel-related codes these trucks will run. My neighbors doesnt even report my IDM code for the tuned-up IDM, so how useful could it really be?
Got a CPS at the Ford dealer, I was surprised at the price compared to NAPA, AZ, etc. The GPR quit cycling for now but it's a cheapy NAPA one GPR109. It's working, got a .01 volt drop acros the posts, the old one had about 1.5, stays on for almost exactly two mins after the key is turned on. We'll see how long it lasts.
I'll look around for an exaust leak but like I said, once it starts I can't see anything.
My scantool has 7.3 diesel on the menu but I've read that they don't always work on them.

Get this truck on a scanner before you blow a month's paycheck diagnosing the problem... A real scanner, one that will read a powerstroke. AE would be ideal...
I'm not going to shotgun parts on these problems. Iv'e got two going now(as far as I know), cold start problem and missing. Going to ohm the glow plugs today for the start problem and put the Ford CPS in for the missing problem.
I'll have to take it to a shop and see what their scanner says.
And if I missunderstood what you posted it's because I was staring at the girl in your avatur:D

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
not to hijack but anyone know where to get the rubber boots for the GPR?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts